Stargard

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Chippyboy, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Chippyboy

Chippyboy New Member

Car:
    BMW 640D
    Just ordered a new GLC 43 and the dealer said he'd throw in Stargard.

However I am a bit nervous about frankly none too skilled labourers at the dealership slopping this stuff over probably not at all well prepped paintwork. And then making it more difficult to get the car detailed with the Stargard crap stuck to it.

Should I just say "no thanks", or is Stargard harmless enough? And maybe even worth having?

What do you reckon?

2. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2016
    It's costing nothing, so nothing to loose.
    Let the dealer apply it and then check it carefully, any blemishes get him the redo it.
    IIRC Stargard is nothing to exotic and easily polished out should you wish a pucker detailer sort it

Callyman likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Chippyboy

Chippyboy New Member

Car:
    BMW 640D
    Thanks mate. So long as they don't do any damage then, I guess I'll let them apply it.

4. Callyman

Callyman New Member

Car:
    C Class Coupe 250d
    Thanks for this....... I’ve just returned from holiday and collecting my new Coupe in a few days.... Dealership have also thrown this in for me

5. John N

John N Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C250d 4 Matic
    A lot depends on the person doing the Application! :rolleyes:

I had Stargard on my 64 Plate A Class it was well prepped and I didn't notice any "Marring" and the stuff lasted very well, (Two and a Half Years until I sold it) :D

My present MB was very different, the Stargard was offered free, but it was the time of the rush to buy cars in April 17 before the VED went up, the same Dealership and supposedly the same Team Applying the stuff = a very different result :wallbash:

I had GTechnique applied a few weeks later, that sorted the Marring out! :)

6. Alex225

Alex225 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    If it's being done for free then as said, nothing to lose really. The dealership will be washing the car anyway so any harm that may be done could be done then anyway but I'd rather pick up my brand new car clean so I can check it over properly than telling them to leave it entirely.

The main issue with these dealership applied sealants/coatings is the lack of proper prep before they're applied and conditions when they're applied. I mean the paintwork should be contaminant free, ideally polished and then panel wiped before the sealant is applied in a cool, indoor area and left to cure. I strongly suspect those kinds of processes aren't adhered to so in turn the product won't bond so well and won't last like it should/could. That's not to say it won't work for a while or look fairly decent. :)

That will be because the detailer who applied that properly polished the car before hand.

John N likes this.
  7. Martin 1

Martin 1 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    '05 CLK 200 auto Convertible. silver with blue hood.
    Sorry mate, but I can't resist, it's PUKKAH, not pucker. :)

whitenemesis likes this.
  8. Toobad

Toobad Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    GLC Sport X253
    Buying the Stargard treatment is the equivalent of a shoe shop trying to flog you some shoe polish. It is a ridiculously high margin product and is often thrown in for free as a deal sweetener to give the customer the illusion of a bargain. If you are happy for the workshop monkeys to apply it for free, what's not to like? It is a 2-part acrylic polymer sealant so can easily be removed with something like Dodo Juice Lime Prime. Stargard is nothing more than the "Carlack Twins" by another name. The Dealer applies what is essentially Carlack Complete which is a paint cleanser laced with some acrylic sealant for an all-in-one protective coating. The interior is wiped down with Carlack Long Life for protection against dirt and UV. You are given a bottle of the Long Life to use on the exterior at your leisure to top up the minimal protection of the Complete that has already been applied.

Anybody considering paying for the Stargard paint protection package would be far better spend £32 on this:
    Carlack Sealant Combo: 500ml Complete + 500ml Long Life Sealant | eBay

9. kam09

kam09 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E350cdi coupe sport obs black
    I can guarantee the prep will be non existent I.e no fallout remover being applied (it will need this even tho the car is brand new) and no tar and glue remover and probably no claying.. Remember dealers like MB don’t have “detailers” they have valeters who have multiple cars to wash per day..