Starguard and stuff

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Red C220

MB Enthusiast
Car
2021 Mazda MX-30 EV, 2014 FF
So having ordered a new car this week the dealer tried to upsell the list of add ons as they do. I listen politely then refuse them all thank you. It feels like PPI for the automotive industry.

Anyhow it's got me thinking. I've never been into "detailing" but our new car will have Designo Mystic Blue paint and Porcelain leather. It won't be a daily driver but I would like to keep it looking new as long as possible.

Should I "protect" the leather and paint from day one professionally (not through the dealer of course)?

I've seen mention (in other threads) of ceramic paint coatings and such, none of which I have any knowledge about.

What is the best course of action for a new car?

I will also add to this that I am inherently lazy when it comes to washing cars and things of this nature and as such there won't be any "I spent 12 hours polishing this" threads from me ever.

There might be - "I paid someone to do this look how shiny it is" threads though.

Last edited:
If you are not using the car frequently, a decent wash and protection regimen would do the job. By that I mean, by washing correctly, swirls are minimised or none existent and a decent protection coat (I really like Autosmart Topaz) applied occasionally should do the trick. If you want that mirror finish with no scratches or swirls, your only choice without spending time is to have it detailed and something like G-Techniq applied by someone such as GemClean Detailing - Paintwork Correction - Berkshire, Surrey, London

On balance, I wished I had had our vehicles professionally done when they were new.

Lovely, Gemclean looks just the sort of thing I'm after.

I'm assuming stumping up for this when the car is new makes it easier to care for?

I'm assuming stumping up for this when the car is new makes it easier to care for?

Very much so. Not nearly so much correction required, normally. Ask Developer; I think he has had the G-Techniq applied to his new car if I remember correctly. It forms a ceramic based coating which is very slippery….like newly applied, good quality wax but with longevity.

Wonderful choice of colour and yes I would treat the car to a detail and ceramic coat while it is still new.

IMG_0318.jpg

Mic

It certainly does, and as GVM says, it's cheaper having the car detailed when brand new as there's not so much work involved.

Michael at GemClean did a full paint correction and applied G-Techniq Crystal Serum on my (used, daily driver) E63 14 months and 17,000 miles ago. All I've done to it since is wash it and it still looks 99.9% as good as the day he did it, and dirt still just rinses off. Fantastic stuff.

One tip I'd give is to get yourself a DI Vessel as this makes washing the car even easier as you can get away without drying it off and there are no watermarks.

I've had both my E63's Gtechniq'd as have many on here.

The paintwork is prepared with a two stage polish and then it's sealed.

Washing is a doddle, with no need to wax or polish ever again.

Add a DI vessel for rinsing that requires no drying and you're away.

Every time you wash it it comes up like it's just been done :thumb:.

You'll get 2 or 3 years out of it, probably more, then the coating can be reapplied.

There are glass, wheel and upholstery treatments too.

www.gtechniq.com

Last edited:
Anyone know these people? Via google I've come across a thread on detailing world.

SL Restoration

I only ask as they are relatively close to me and on the same industrial park as the MB dealer who is supplying the car.

Echo others comments here, you would be much better off getting a professional to apply a ceramic coating to the car opposed to paying the dealer to apply Supaguard.

Supaguard isn't a bad product, lasts 3 - 6 months if applied correctly. Thing is, it generally isn't applied properly and a ceramic coating will last 12-18 months easily with just a wash.

I prefer to spend hours/days cleaning the car myself though, sad as it is. :D

I've had a few PM's on this subject, thanks to those that took the time.

I've had a local recommendation that seems quite highly regarded by more than one member so I'll be going that route and getting this professionally done when I eventually get the car, which is forecast to be early next year at some point.

Ed at Divine Detail gets a lot of praise on here, I recall seeing pictures of Stumpy1's 205GTI he'd worked on and it looked box fresh.

I would look at c Quartz finest coating, gtech is good but finest is a step above, or gyeon coatings

Ed at Divine Detail gets a lot of praise on here, I recall seeing pictures of Stumpy1's 205GTI he'd worked on and it looked box fresh.

That's the chap and relatively local to me. I'm only a couple of junctions around the M25 from Stumpy.

I drive 30,000 miles a year and the best protection I've found so far is 'Blacklight' from Chemical Guys. It gives a fanatastic shine and is easy to apply and polish off. Do my cars about once every 4 months (equals about a year of normal driving). I get the hand car wash guys to wash my cars at least once a week and I then spritz the car over with another chemical guys product calledHybrid V7 to preserve the shine.
Brings my Obsidian black metallic paintwork up a treat.I have previously tried a lot of other products but find their stuff to be the best so far. The interior plastic cleaner/ protectant they do goes on nice and matt and smells like pineapple:)

That's the chap and relatively local to me. I'm only a couple of junctions around the M25 from Stumpy.

Ask him to use his new coating for metallics. It really enhances the colour and is proving to be hard wearing. The cars live outside and the water still beads on top of the dirt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom