Start Error W163 ML270cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Robml270

Car
W163 ML270cdi
Hi!
I have been searching for 2-weeks for a definitive solution to "Start error" message. This seems to be a common issue with this model (2003 ML 270CDi) but I have yet to find consistent answers and a lot of conflicting advice. I have called, left voice messages, Whatsapped, emailed a number of mobile Mercedes mechanics but have not even received a reply! The car is stuck at work and I really need some help from the forum.
2-weeks ago I went out to the car and suddenly the keyfob would not unlock the car remotely. I used the manual key and the car started, run for 2 seconds then switched off. "Start error" appeared in the mileometer. I stripped the fob and replaced the battery and was able to resync the fob so car locks/unlocks as before but start error remains. Since then I have read that fob and immobiliser are independent. After some research, I saw that the Alarm LED does not flash when the key is operated so I examined the transponder coil and ordered a 2nd hand unit as I could see that parts number. After fitting the start error remains.
I understand that the transponder triggers a code to the module located in the EAM that then compares with stored value to enable the AAM to start. I also believe that EAM (but not (FSB?) module) and the AAM are not keyed to this version of the car. However, I am unable to confirm replacement part numbers to fit from on-line information.

Simple questions: Where exactly is the EAM on right-hand drive ML? I know it is behind the dash somewhere but is it accessed from footwell or behind instruments? If I can locate I can then confirm part number and organise a replacement.
Do I have to transfer the FSB module from the old EAM to the replacement and will disconnecting power delete the factory keycode?
Same with AAM under the fuses, can I replace myself or will it need recoding after disconnecting from the battery?

Any help would be gratefully received local garage told me to have car towed in and then it probably would cost £1300. This is about what the car is worth and I would hate to scrap without at least trying some repairs (I've rebuilt MGs and Triumphs so I'd hate to be beaten by newer tech).

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom