Start Stop - Break Pedal Pressure (W204)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m.p.rogers

Car
C250 CDI Estate (S204)
Question from any W204 C class owners.

With the 'Eco' start stop feature enabled, can you hold the car on the break pedal without stopping the engine.

All other cars I've driven with start stop require you to push the brake pedal slightly harder once stationary to turn the engine off, my merc cuts the engine out with the lightest of touches of the break once stationary - really annoying if you know your only stopping for a v.brief period.

Warranty expires soon, so would like to get sorted if something's not quite right.

Thanks

I had this frustration with a B Class recently.

Sometimes I felt like I was getting the knack for it, and could cause it to cut by stabbing a little further (not so far as to trigger brake hold), but then other times it'd just cut with the lightest of touches, so I'd let off the brake momentarily to cause it to fire up again, then it'd cut again and I'd end up having a friggin' fight with the thing trying to exhaust it's ability to do that (like them candles you just can't blow out, - end up getting a leaf blower on it :devil: ), but then I'd just turn the feature off for the rest of the journey...

In my A207 I can control it. By coming to a halt gently with light pedal pressure as it comes to a hald I can keep it stationary and not have the stop start cut in. Press it a little harder the stop start will activate and push it harder again the hold function engages.

There is the odd occasion that I apply too much pressure and it does out out, but not often enough to be annoying.

In my A207 I can control it. By coming to a halt gently with light pedal pressure as it comes to a hald I can keep it stationary and not have the stop start cut in. Press it a little harder the stop start will activate and push it harder again the hold function engages.

There is the odd occasion that I apply too much pressure and it does out out, but not often enough to be annoying.

Same here on the CLS. I'm refining my technique and I get it "right" almost all the time. But there's still the odd occasion where it stops, fires up again, and stops just as quickly. Very annoying.
I have found myself turning off the Eco thing just to get away from it.
I had a brand new E220d for a while and that was much more sensible in its stop/start application.

Being of a similar generation, odd then that the A207 works in that manner but the W204 doesn't.

I had a brand new C class hire car not so long ago, the start stop worked exactly as you describe on the E220, they must have refined the system in recent years.

Sounds normal though for the W204/S204 C class, so I'll just learn to live with it...

Last edited:
Sounds exactly the same as my car. I just turn eco off in certain circumstances....motorway crawling traffic and traffic light infested towns for example.

Yes - my 2013 W204 is the same. Only way around it to switch off Eco mode at the beginning of the journey, then pressing the Eco button to activate it when stopped at a traffic light that looks like will take some time, then switch if off again once on the move.... a pain.

I've found in my 2012 W204 that easing off the brake pedal to the extent of just stopping the car moving prevents the start/stop operating. But TBH it never bothers me that much when the engine does stop because it starts again instantly with no fuss. Perhaps the system works better with the larger engine :dk:

Perhaps the system works better with the larger engine :dk:

I think it's because with smaller and turbo engines, you've A: Not got much oomph to begin with and B: Got to wait until the turbo has spun up before you've got any go at all.

Yours is N/A and has plenty of power. With the little 1.5 Turbo B Class I had, you preempt needing to set off and stand on it asap to get it moving. If it stopped the engine at an inopportune time, you'll probably miss your chance to go. With your car, you're happy to wait for it to fire up as you only have to gently touch the throttle and you're well away instantly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom