Start-Stop driving in traffic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pen-ultimate, Aug 11, 2008.

1. pen-ultimate

pen-ultimate Member

Car:
    CL 500
    Often when I'm sitting a jam I turn the engine off. Then, as the queue starts moving I re-start the engine and continue. I'm lucky having keyless-go, so its not a great effort.

But I did wonder what the down side might be in terms of the service interval. Would this style of driving get me to the next service more quickly?

Cheers,
    Nick.

2. verytalldave

verytalldave Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W203 C200K Cubanite
    Very unlikely. If that was the case, then there would be no advantage of such a system.
    Others will no doubt be able to give you a definative answer.

3. Dieter

Dieter Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2009 Jaguar XF 3.0D 'S'
    Hi,

Automatic stopstart systems such as BMW "efficient dynamics" only differ from normal systems in that the starter motor is 'beefed up' ...so you could wear out the standard starter motor.

Assuming your car is an auto there there have been several threads concluding that it's better to leave auto box in drive, rather than switch it out to neutral, whenever you stop..so also posible wear on gear box.

Why is it less hassle with keyless go? You still have to put your foot on brake to go to 'drive' and push a button instead of turning a key?

Cheers,

4. flango

flango MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171

See this link which gives you everything you need to
    http://sections.asme.org/florida/ASME Fla Section Virtual Mythbusters.html

Short answers is if the car is not designed for stop start technology don't do it as it will increase component wear and get you to your service quicker. There are also other reasons for not turning off which the article goes into.

My rule of thumb is if you are stuck in Traffic for over 2 minutes then turn off, but not if you are in the first 4 cars at a junction or traffic lights

Hope this helps

5. OP
    OP
    pen-ultimate

pen-ultimate Member

Car:
    CL 500
    Thanks for that. The article confirms what my intuition told me - don't do it!

Cheers,
    Nick

6. hawk20

hawk20 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ML250 BlueTEC Sport Jan 2013
    What a great link. Hope someone will try to remember it for when this comes up again.