Start-Stop driving in traffic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pen-ultimate

Car
CL 500
Often when I'm sitting a jam I turn the engine off. Then, as the queue starts moving I re-start the engine and continue. I'm lucky having keyless-go, so its not a great effort.

But I did wonder what the down side might be in terms of the service interval. Would this style of driving get me to the next service more quickly?

Cheers,
Nick.

Very unlikely. If that was the case, then there would be no advantage of such a system.
Others will no doubt be able to give you a definative answer.

Hi,

Automatic stopstart systems such as BMW "efficient dynamics" only differ from normal systems in that the starter motor is 'beefed up' ...so you could wear out the standard starter motor.

Assuming your car is an auto there there have been several threads concluding that it's better to leave auto box in drive, rather than switch it out to neutral, whenever you stop..so also posible wear on gear box.

Why is it less hassle with keyless go? You still have to put your foot on brake to go to 'drive' and push a button instead of turning a key?

Cheers,

Often when I'm sitting a jam I turn the engine off. Then, as the queue starts moving I re-start the engine and continue. I'm lucky having keyless-go, so its not a great effort.

But I did wonder what the down side might be in terms of the service interval. Would this style of driving get me to the next service more quickly?

Cheers,
Nick.

See this link which gives you everything you need to
http://sections.asme.org/florida/ASME Fla Section Virtual Mythbusters.html

Short answers is if the car is not designed for stop start technology don't do it as it will increase component wear and get you to your service quicker. There are also other reasons for not turning off which the article goes into.

My rule of thumb is if you are stuck in Traffic for over 2 minutes then turn off, but not if you are in the first 4 cars at a junction or traffic lights

Hope this helps

Thanks for that. The article confirms what my intuition told me - don't do it!

Cheers,
Nick

See this link which gives you everything you need to
http://sections.asme.org/florida/ASME Fla Section Virtual Mythbusters.html

Short answers is if the car is not designed for stop start technology don't do it as it will increase component wear and get you to your service quicker. There are also other reasons for not turning off which the article goes into.

My rule of thumb is if you are stuck in Traffic for over 2 minutes then turn off, but not if you are in the first 4 cars at a junction or traffic lights

Hope this helps

What a great link. Hope someone will try to remember it for when this comes up again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom