Start/Stop Problem 2014 E Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well what a difference the a/c off made.

5 miles and 10 minutes into my journey this morning the ECO went green (a/c off) and remained green for the entire day.

Here's what I drove today:-

IMG_20141221_140627_zps022efb43.jpg

And here's the tank since reset:-

IMG_20141221_140639_zpsb6c246be.jpg

Unfortunately the OBC is optimistic and after I brimmed the tank when I got home it took 52.98 litres for an average of 41.6mpg. I've found the OBC around 10% overreading in every Mercedes I've owned.

Better than I've been getting, and you can probably tell from the average speed on the dash that most of that journey was run on cruise control at 80mph so it wasn't an attempt at an economy run, it was just a case of getting to Manchester and back in as short a time possible without doing silly speeds.

It will be interesting to see if the car selects ECO mode straight away tomorrow as the battery should now be well charged.

Sometimes knock the A/C off but with the wet weather the windscreen doesn't usually take too long to start misting up.

Screens tend to mist up if the A/c has been on, but then switched off, due to the evaporator frost...evaporating.

Leave the A/c off permanently and the screen will stay demisted.

My cars at the dealers early January for a squeaky seat, so I will ask them about air con and s/s when it's in. I am sure it will be the same as your experience and they will say no fault codes!!!

I think I will also ask for some help in achieving this:-

Attachments

• image-51826152.jpg
    image-51826152.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 25
My Fuel tank certainly isn't 59/8

I get the first light on at about 48 litre capacity, the red "Fill it now" light at about 52 litres capacity.

The most I've got in it is 54.32 litres. I used to regularly get 60+ litres in the C Class we had.

Ours is an E220 CDI not a Bluetec efficiency afair, I'm not sure those numbers are right for our car. I can't get more than mid 40's on a motorway run even at a steady 60mph. Those numbers are in cloud cuckoo land.

Last edited:
some thoughts!
friend's cls250 cdi 2012 goes eco in very short time with ac on. Garage however said auxiliary electric(?) ac compressor drains the
battery when engine is turned off by eco system, which is why engine is restarted automatically in a short time. So when ac is on the eco can be activated only if the battery is in perfect shape.
Another theory is that
if Merc kept the "relevant" ( instead of absolute) functioning of the air con, this might be the reason of the 'strange' behavior of eco mode in some cars. Absolute means the ac is on or off according to ac on off button and nothing else. Relevant means the ac is on when the button is at the on position and off when it's at the off position and the humidity in the evaporator (or cabin?) (sensor checked) low enough so that hum sensor is not activated. My ac behaves like that although an older e class with no eco mode. AC may cycle itself on then off after every restart of the car even if the ac button is at the off position. (Eventually after a few restarts the humidity in the system clears and the ac stays off at all times until I turn it on on a sunny day and the cycle starts again!) Sometimes I turn the HVAC completely off and then on again...in this case the ac may stay asleep as I want it to be! I read a technical bulletin sometime ago advising dealers to change the value, using star, to absolute to :fail solve recurring ac odour problems back then.

They are probably not absolutely correct for mine as I have larger 18 wheels. But you would expect to get close to 60 mpg at a constant 70 as its only doing 1700 rpm!!

They are probably not absolutely correct for mine as I have larger 18 wheels. But you would expect to get close to 60 mpg at a constant 70 as its only doing 1700 rpm!!

Nope, I'm nowhere near that, also on 18" rims.

Do you have a CDI or Bluefficiency diesel?

Red C220 said:
Nope, I'm nowhere near that, also on 18" rims. Do you have a CDI or Bluefficiency diesel?

Blu efficiency diesel MY2015 with 177bhp.

My previous cars have always seemed to average the lowest of the three quoted MPG figures, hence I thought I should be getting 50mpg on my daily commute.

It's only got 1500 miles on the clock so maybe the figures will creep up over the next 12 months.

No problems with my stop-start had my 2013 E220 CDi (facelift) from new, and just turned over 68,000 miles yesterday.

The car is used almost daily, thoughout the day, so ECO usually works as soon as I turn the engine on, except when left overnight, when it does take a few minutes or so.

However, it is intrusive, and I often turn it off as soon as I get in the car (or the first time the engine turns off, reminding me the function is still on).

I don't think there would be much of a difference in fuel consumption. Mine is way off the official figures anyway.

christopherwk said:
However, it is intrusive, and I often turn it off as soon as I get in the car (or the first time the engine turns off, reminding me the function is still on).

I know what you mean, but I tend to control mine with the foot break so that I can keep the engine running if I expect just a short stop.

Dieselman said:
Screens tend to mist up if the A/c has been on, but then switched off, due to the evaporator frost...evaporating. Leave the A/c off permanently and the screen will stay demisted.
It didn't go off all through my W204 and Audi ownership, sometimes I just knock it off now to see the Eco thing kick in else I just see it as a pointless addition to the car. Much prefer the cabin with A/C on and auto temp control

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom