Start-stop rating ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Indy Sembi

Car
E350 cdi sport
Hello, I'm just about to receive my e350 cdi sport and just wandered what people thought about the start-stop feature ??

Cheers :thumb:

only had it on a loan car - hated it (but it can be turned off)

Thanks I didn't have high hopes for it myself and didn't realise I could be turned off .

I had it recently on a loan W212 E250, could not get to grips with it so turned it off after 3 days. The next two days were bliss!

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

I've had quite a few press cars from different manufacturers over the last 12 months and I've not been impressed with any of the stop/start systems. Yes, you can turn them off, but the default setting seems to be always on. They can be a little too interfering.
Personally, I would be concerned about turbo life and starter motor failure, which is another area where you'll need to spend your money in the future.
Unless you spend your days in traffic, I would seek to get it programmed to be off, unless you want it on. And there's always the ignition key if your conscience demands an on/off function.....

Had ours for a year, it was odd for the first week after that you just get used to it to a point where you don't even notice it.

In fact I was travelling in another car last week and it felt odd that it didn't switch off.

I've had quite a few press cars from different manufacturers over the last 12 months and I've not been impressed with any of the stop/start systems. Yes, you can turn them off, but the default setting seems to be always on. They can be a little too interfering.
Personally, I would be concerned about turbo life and starter motor failure, which is another area where you'll need to spend your money in the future.
Unless you spend your days in traffic, I would seek to get it programmed to be off, unless you want it on. And there's always the ignition key if your conscience demands an on/off function.....

I didn't think turbos were operating at all at tickover? How would it effect them?

Also it isn't like the car starts int he same way from a key start. It's almost instant so I'm not entirely sure it's using the same system that is used to start as you get in the car.

Anyone know how this system actually works?

As mentioned, you get used to it and dont notice it after a while......best to turn it off though when in short pause stop/start queuing

Thanks for he replies, I imagine it will be a matter of getting used to it. However I till think long term it will only end up with problems. Good you can turn it off though.

In a manual car you have more control over it, you have to put the car into neutral and release the clutch for it to stop the engine, in an auto I have found it strange not having that control.

A good hint if you are about to pull away quickly is to move the steering wheel slightly left and right. This will trigger the engine to start.

I'm still in two minds about it. It's a bit annoying when it stops the engine only a couple of seconds before you go to pull away, and the start-up is a little bit jerky too (but I guess that 3500cc takes some turning!). I think the only way to turn it off in the C-Class is to hit the Eco button, but as has been said it defaults to on again every time the ignition is turned off. I'd prefer it to operate something like the HOLD feature for brake; infact with the HOLD would work well.

But in the meantime I keep trying to tell myself that I'm doing a tiny bit to save the planet. And the startup is instant so I can still leave almost everyone else at the lights!

Whilst I generally like it I'm finding that I'm ridding the brakes to avoid coming to a complete a lot of the time. I'm sure this will result in the discs and pads needing changing more often.

As others have said its a bit weird to start with as it's like the car has stalled but you get used to it. The car starts the instant you come off the brakes with an auto so not an issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom