Start/Stop system use and safety

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

groovyg

Car
MB C220
I have a new C coupe Auto. Its my first car with Start stop system. I undertsand why these systems are on the cars, I am trying to get use to it. I was wondering about the safety aspect. For instance, at a busy roundabout, junction the car engine stops and you want a swift pullaway. Although the engine starts pretty qucik when I lift my foot off the break, there is of course a slight delay.

I know I could switch it off, then maybe I'll just get accustomed to it. Any tips on using it or not?

Got it on my 5series. It does very occasionally feel 'caught out', usually when it stops itself a split second before you pull away. I find a bit more anticipation is needed - make sure the engine is running at the right time (I can do this on the BMW simply by turning the steering wheel slightly - the power assistance draw is enough to make the car restart) or if in a long slow moving queue simply turn the stop-start off.

You will get used to it - well I did anyway. What I tend to do when I'm waiting at locations like roundabouts as you mentioned is to not completely stop, that way the engine doesn't stop. It takes a little more anticipation, but that's not a bad thing when you're driving. But having said that, I've always found the restart and pull-away to be faster than most other cars around me manage when they don't have stop/start.

I'm just thinking, what be the state of the starter motor etc in 5 years time.

It's surprising how quickly you get used to it - I was driving my dad's 8 year old 3 series the other day and it felt odd sitting at traffic lights with the engine running all the time...

Not a problem according to MB who say "The starter motor (starter) has also undergone thorough modification: it is now designed to cope with eight times as many starting procedures, ensuring that it will last a car's lifetime in continuous urban driving involving frequent auto-starting. In addition, the on-board electrical system is supported by a second battery."

This comes from an interesting detailed description of the ECO Start/Stop system here: Under the microscope: ECO start/stop: Sophisticated technology gives the highest levels of efficiency | Daimler Global Media Site > Brands & Products > Mercedes-Benz Cars > Mercedes-Benz Passenger Cars > Coupés > CLS-Class

I hate the feature and ensure that turning it off is part of my start-up procedure each time I use the car.

I love it on my manual C220, but I had 2 autos as courtesy cars in the last week or so, and didn't like it one bit, I felt I had no control over when the engine would stop, which it did do far (IMHO) too soon and often.

With the manual, you have to physically put it in neutral and take your foot off the clutch. Much more appropriate, much safer, I think. But see my sig!

Malcolm

It's easy to get used to... Stick with it. If at a roundabout you want to remain stationary but not have the engine cut out, you can control with with brake pedal pressure.

Sounds odd but easy, again, once you're used to it.

Very light touch will keep it stationary but not cut out, firmer pressure will activated start/stop... and a short firm stomp will activate the hold feature.

I wouldn't want a car without these features nowadays as said before.

You can de activate it by pressing the eco button, though it resets itself next time you turn the ignition key to start after stopping and removing the key. I was also unerved at first but now so used to it I wouldn't want a car without it.

Not a problem according to MB who say "The starter motor (starter) has also undergone thorough modification: it is now designed to cope with eight times as many starting procedures, ensuring that it will last a car's lifetime in continuous urban driving involving frequent auto-starting.[/url]

MB have certainly put their neck on the chopping block with that one, shame they never said the same about SBC units.

Not a problem according to MB who say "The starter motor (starter) has also undergone thorough modification: it is now designed to cope with eight times as many starting procedures, ensuring that it will last a car's lifetime in continuous urban driving involving frequent auto-starting. In addition, the on-board electrical system is supported by a second battery."
It will probably cost 8 times as much to replace as well :eek:

Don't worry about the starter motor in 5 years time, it will have had three new ones by then ;) Thats if its anything like the old mini SWMBO had when it first came out on them. Bmw said don't worry, special battery, starter etc.
Hopefully the technology has improved a bit over the last few years.

How much fuel does this save?

I also find it quite annoying as well at the beginning, but soon you'll get used to it, and anticipate when to lift off the brake pedal.

In my last C class, I could also have the car in complete stop without engine cutting off, with appropriate amount of brake pressure.

I'm very used to it now. If I don't want the engine to stop (say because I know the lights will change shortly) then I just leave it in gear and dip the clutch.

I think some of you guys need to RTFM.

P.

I've read that a warm diesel engine burns 0.3 gallons per hour at idle. So unless you drive through London at rush hour the savings will be very modest indeed.

My theory is this (it may be totally incorrect)

The stop start doesn't make much difference but when combined with other tricks such as the alternator not charging all the time etc its a case of a bit here and a bit there make a difference on the government tests. I think the cars are now engineered to do the best they can on these government tests etc rather than real world mpg as this is where the manufacturer save money in polution taxes and it lowers the vehicle tax and company car tax.
If they can scrape in a shade under a certain bracket there competitor couldn't they sell a lot more.
They replace a few extra starters under warranty, no problem.
Car gets unreliable or expensive to repair outside of warranty, it gets recycled and they can sell them another car.:dk:

Never really check how much it save?? But you do noticed mpg figures dropping while stationary in traffic with the engine running

One of the motoring TV programme(think its Top Gear) did a test with stop/start engine and found it did go quite a bit further than the car without stop/start feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom