Start-Stop technology retrofit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
hi

I am sure its not available (as i did a quick google) but just wondered what the possibilities are of retrofitting a system like BMW use where the car switches off when stationary at traffic lights and then automatically restarts as you go to drive away.

i've seen remote starters on keyfobs etc so i am sure someone somewhere would of modified something to do this,

i just wondered if anyone has any links as i find it quite an interesting topic.

http://www.carpages.co.uk/bmw/bmw-bosch-stop-start-27-03-07.asp

I assume you'd definatly need a uprated starter motor - not sure how it would work with a gearbox still in Drive/In gear....?

EDIT - this article is good reading though, and probably why no one has done it:

http://sections.asme.org/florida/ASME Fla Section Virtual Mythbusters.html

I'm not really considering doing this myself as i am sure it is way out of my understanding and capbilities, but just interested....

Last edited:
I imagine it would be a non-starter (*ahem*) as I think that

a) the tech is only on manual cars, and the engine restarts when you dip the clutch
b) it's only on 4 cylinder petrol engines. both the diesel and the 6 cylinders are harder to start
c) The engine parts have been designed around start/stop and to ease the burden on the battery/starter motor as much as possible. the parts on your car won't be and the extra wear might cause trouble.

I must admit, I've not kept my eye on the start/stop stuff from BMW in a while, but I really doubt that retro-fitting it is practical.

dave

According to my local BMW dealer they all switch it off as you have to go into neutral at the lights -and no BMW driver wants to be in neutral when the lights change. Just a gimmick to get lower emissions on the govt test IMO. Govt should require permanently locked for useage if lower emissions and tax are claimed.

BTW, you need to do a lot of stop start at lights in town to cover the cost.

The new TD4 2.2 Freelander has this and think thats manages 44mpg.

In the mini it must get hughe mpg especially if fiitted to a Mini D

It is amazng how long your engine is just running and your not moving if you monitor a town journey.

I doubt it's a worthwhile aftermarket fit but it was interesting following a Prius the other day. Each time it stopped the exhaust stopped emitting vapour , it then moved off on battery power and then the engine started again when more power was required.

I doubt it's a worthwhile aftermarket fit but it was interesting following a Prius the other day. Each time it stopped the exhaust stopped emitting vapour , it then moved off on battery power and then the engine started again when more power was required.

You did not ram it off the road why? :confused:

Toyota Prius should be renamed Toyota PIOUS

VW had this years ago with the 'Formel E' versions of the Polo , and possibly other models ?

It was quietly dropped from the range , I believe due to reliability issues ...

If you're in slow moving traffic you can play with a Prius to see how long you can go without provoking it to start the engine. No cheating by switching it to electric only. No going so slowly you start holding up the traffic.

The new Blueefficiency versions of the 'A' and 'B' also have Start/Stop.

Bosch have a start-stop system that is being rolled out across a number of European cars. Why? Ooohh Green issues of course. Oh please

The real reason is that the urban component of the European Driving Cycle to measure fuel consumption and CO2 output calls for twelve 15 second stops as part of a test cycle.

That bears little comparison to real world road conditions and putting a stop-start system in that enables the engine not to run at all for 15% of the test duration gives even better looking paper results. That matters because the EU still has this ever more impossible social engineering dream that car manufacturers will somehow reduce average fuel consumption to 130g/km across their total product offering by 2012. (at present it is about 180g/km)

If they do not stiff penalty structure is proposed so useful to have a few trick cars in your range to lower the range average but the way things are now all these wonderful proposals will most likely be binned before all the Euro car makers go bang.

All clear now?

Start stop is rubbish , had it on a 320d and was the first thing i switched off on every journey!

it is really annoying. i have been driving my sisters Mini and i must say,i hate to drive it until i discovered the switch off button lol
its not really meant for saving fuel...its more to do with going green,polluting less etc.

A mate has a 320d with stop start. I drove him home from the pub after he's had too many, and I must say I was extremely impressed.

The stop start malarkly was completely effortless to use ( apart from engaging/disengaging clutch) and worked everytime. It's very disconcerting at first, having mild panics when the lights changed and rushing the clutch in and jamming it in gear, but after a couple of lights it wasn't a big deal at all.

The whole car itself is surprisingly able.

Bosch have a start-stop system that is being rolled out across a number of European cars. Why? Ooohh Green issues of course. Oh please

The real reason is that the urban component of the European Driving Cycle to measure fuel consumption and CO2 output calls for twelve 15 second stops as part of a test cycle.

That bears little comparison to real world road conditions and putting a stop-start system in that enables the engine not to run at all for 15% of the test duration gives even better looking paper results. That matters because the EU still has this ever more impossible social engineering dream that car manufacturers will somehow reduce average fuel consumption to 130g/km across their total product offering by 2012. (at present it is about 180g/km)

If they do not stiff penalty structure is proposed so useful to have a few trick cars in your range to lower the range average but the way things are now all these wonderful proposals will most likely be binned before all the Euro car makers go bang.

All clear now?

No..!

Average emissions for new cars sold in 2007 was 164.9 g/km which is down significantly. (This is before S-S technology was brought in.)

Manufacturers have until 2015 to reduce the emissions.
The manufacturers only need to have 65% of the cars below the 130g/km figure by 2012.

16% of all new cars sold in the EU already met the 130g/km levy in 2007 and 40% were under 140g/km so the target isn't a major issue.

In some countries it is illegal to idle the engine for more than a short period and this method simply enforces that requirement. An engine uses 6 seconds of fuel to start, why run it for longer.

Mercedes have found that significant additional engine life can be gained by switching off idling engines, so as well as the fuel/Co2 savings there is a direct saving on wear and tear.

Why is it an issue as long as it works.?

As far as the test cycle representing real world, the stops are for traffic lights....probably 15 sec isn't long enough..:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm surprised that frequent and instantaneous engine start/stop doesn't cause turbo/Kompressor damage.

I find the stop / start on my bmw 118d very user friendly, it does not hamper town driving at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom