Start up after winter storage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I just start mine, no condensation no smell, on trickle charge best thing I ever bought

Attachments

• IMG-20220313-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20220313-WA0000.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 11
After storage, make sure the fluid levels are OK, nothing has leaked due to animals nesting in the engine bay and eating away.

Check electrical wiring for the same - animal damage.

Make sure you have some fresh fuel,

Ensure battery is well charged to give rapid start.

Switch it on and let it run.

Wrt interior smell, leave windows ajar by a finger. If the car is in a garage facing the sun, open doors/windows if safe to do so. Much more efficient than silica packs.

I always do a check up around everything before I start the car.

Can't leave car unlocked with doors open, bad people lurking around!
Critters tend to crawl and climb on everything, if windows being a tad open critters could go mayhem inside.

Regarding fresh fuel, I put a full bottle of STABIL fuel stabilizer into my tank, then fill her up and let car idle for 5 min for fuel circulation before I stored my car last autumn.
The E10 should be OK or not with Stabil fuelstabilizer used for ethanol blended fuels?
Stabils is an American brand of fuel treatment.

Regarding fresh fuel, I put a full bottle of STABIL fuel stabilizer into my tank, then fill her up and let car idle for 5 min for fuel circulation before I stored my car last autumn.
The E10 should be OK or not with Stabil fuelstabilizer used for ethanol blended fuels?
Stabils is an American brand of fuel treatment.
That's what I do & have done with various cars over the years. Always have something in hibernation during the winter. Stabil also what I use with a full tank of fuel. Works for me👍

Never had that problem with a smell. Don't know if silica gel prevents it as it absorbs any moisture so may help. When colour changes, stick it on a heater in the house or microwave
As you car is in the garage leave the windows down an inch or so. Should prevent the smell. My car is not locked when in hibernation I don't see the point. If someone can actually get into the garage its then much easier damaging the locked car trying to get into it. This is what I use Amazonhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/FiNeWaY-REUSABLE-DEHUMIDIFIER-MOISTURE-ABSORBER/dp/B077K8BJW4/ref=sr_1_4?crid=29FVE6VUXW5JM&keywords=silica+gel+bags&qid=1647182045&sprefix=silica+gel%2Caps%2C1507&sr=8-4
About £10 & works fine

Bought this miracle product of a dehumidifier from ebay.
Bag filled with silica jellybeans, put it in my car today.
Let's see if any mircle happens in a week or two?

When I squeezed the bag filled with silica gel balls they are very hard and not soft like jujyfruit?
Are they suppose to be hard?
How do this silica gel product absorb any moisture when balls are hard as glass?

Also bought dehumidifer active coal which I put in the car.
This product didn't absorb any smell at all!
I will contact customer support and complaint, this is a cr@ppy product.

Are they suppose to be hard?
Silica beads are small, round balls of silica gel. While silica gel may sound like a soft or liquidy material, it is actually a solid form of silicon dioxide, a natural material found in the earth. These colorless beads are primarily used to control the moisture content of consumer goods. While many people mistakenly believe that silica gel is toxic, the gel itself is found in food and beverages. Silica beads are therefore only harmful when they are treated with dangerous chemicals that help to enhance their moisture-absorption properties.

Silica gel is frequently found in small packets used to absorb moisture in clothing, electronics and other items.Silica gel is frequently found in small packets used to absorb moisture in clothing, electronics and other items.
The process of making silica beads starts when natural silicon is extracted from the earth. When silicon is exposed to the air, it oxidizes, resulting in a product called silicon dioxide. By adding sodium silicate to silicon dioxide, manufacturers can create silica gel. Depending on the conditions under which it is produced, this gel can take the form of tiny grains or larger silica beads.

Silica gel may be found inside pepperoni packets.Silica gel may be found inside pepperoni packets.
Silica beads are used in a number of manufacturing and household applications. They can be formed into glass or quartz to make countertops, tile, and other products. These beads also serve as a highly-absorbent form of cat litter, which is used in place of traditional sand or newspaper. Silica beads also are a common food additive, and are even added to water in some areas as part of the purification process. These beads are the primarily component in diatamaceous earth, which is used as a natural alternative to chemical pesticides.

Perhaps the most common use for silica beads is as a dessiccant, or dehumidifying material. Due to the highly porous nature of silica, these beads are a highly effective moisture absorption agent. They are added to packs of food, such as dried meats, as well as various types of medicine. Many clothing and shoe manufacturers add packs of silica beads to their products to prevent moisture damage during shipping or storage.

In its pure form, silica gel is essentially harmless. Despite this fact, packages of silica beads are often marked with dire warnings that the contents should not be consumed. Silica is frequently treated with highly toxic chemicals that can be deadly if consumed. For example, beads coated with cobalt chloride can cause both short and long term illness, while those treated with methyl violet can cause severe illness or death. While chemically treated beads are often colored to help identify them, this is not always the case, so consumers should never eat these beads.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Grober yes, the carcoon is very good option ..Thats if you have a good indoor space to keep it in . I said that all classic cars need to be in doors, in a garage and not out in wet weather .So i will be parting with my car soon. It needs to be inside to keep it nice and clean .It is a battle every day once the cover is off , you have to go outside and dry the car off every time it rains . She is still under cover now but it needs the cover removing now the weather is getting warmer .
My garage is full of work benches , tool boxes,, and in the center is my other halfs little Micra . So thats why my car is out side with a cover on .

Silica beads are small, round balls of silica gel. While silica gel may sound like a soft or liquidy material, it is actually a solid form of silicon dioxide, a natural material found in the earth. These colorless beads are primarily used to control the moisture content of consumer goods. While many people mistakenly believe that silica gel is toxic, the gel itself is found in food and beverages. Silica beads are therefore only harmful when they are treated with dangerous chemicals that help to enhance their moisture-absorption properties.

Silica gel is frequently found in small packets used to absorb moisture in clothing, electronics and other items.Silica gel is frequently found in small packets used to absorb moisture in clothing, electronics and other items.
The process of making silica beads starts when natural silicon is extracted from the earth. When silicon is exposed to the air, it oxidizes, resulting in a product called silicon dioxide. By adding sodium silicate to silicon dioxide, manufacturers can create silica gel. Depending on the conditions under which it is produced, this gel can take the form of tiny grains or larger silica beads.

Silica gel may be found inside pepperoni packets.Silica gel may be found inside pepperoni packets.
Silica beads are used in a number of manufacturing and household applications. They can be formed into glass or quartz to make countertops, tile, and other products. These beads also serve as a highly-absorbent form of cat litter, which is used in place of traditional sand or newspaper. Silica beads also are a common food additive, and are even added to water in some areas as part of the purification process. These beads are the primarily component in diatamaceous earth, which is used as a natural alternative to chemical pesticides.

Perhaps the most common use for silica beads is as a dessiccant, or dehumidifying material. Due to the highly porous nature of silica, these beads are a highly effective moisture absorption agent. They are added to packs of food, such as dried meats, as well as various types of medicine. Many clothing and shoe manufacturers add packs of silica beads to their products to prevent moisture damage during shipping or storage.

In its pure form, silica gel is essentially harmless. Despite this fact, packages of silica beads are often marked with dire warnings that the contents should not be consumed. Silica is frequently treated with highly toxic chemicals that can be deadly if consumed. For example, beads coated with cobalt chloride can cause both short and long term illness, while those treated with methyl violet can cause severe illness or death. While chemically treated beads are often colored to help identify them, this is not always the case, so consumers should never eat these beads.

Thanks for the product description.

I've put one silica bag in the cabin yesterday.
Didn't notice any difference after 24 hours of use?

The other silica bag I put in the boot today.

I have a bit of a musty smell coming from long time winter storage, hopefully these silica gel bags can absorb smell?
Honestly I'm not so sure bags will or can remove trapped smell?

I'm allergic to mold so this is not the case, the musty smell in my cabin is of a different smell a bit acidic.
Many years ago I had a fragrance Wunderbaum hanging in the RVM, a big misstake!!
I think this is the aftermath from the Wunderbaum?

In the best way how do I get rid of this funky fragrance?

Don't want to use an ozone killer.

I've put one silica bag in the cabin yesterday.
Didn't notice any difference after 24 hours of use?
Unless the inside of your car is like a rainforest you will not notice anything in 24 hrs. My car was Sorn'd in November when I put in my silica gel bag & I only had to "recharge" it once up to the end of March & it was not that bad.

Perhaps the smell is coming from the A/C unit. Here is what I googled
“What you’re probably smelling is the condensation that comes from the evaporator inside your heating and cooling system,” says Jake Fisher, Consumer Reports’ senior director of auto testing. “Basically, water collects in that area and, if it sits long enough, creates the musty smell.”
Most of the water is meant to exit your car via the evaporator drain under the bottom of the vehicle. You’ve probably seen a small puddle of water under the bottom of your car on a hot, humid day, says Fisher. But sometimes, some of it collects in the evaporator, and if it sits in there for a while, bacteria and mold are going to form and you’re going to smell it in the cabin of the car. Fortunately, it’s actually a pretty easy fix.
First, turn on the car’s interior fan on the low setting and open up the car’s windows. Get a disinfectant like Lysol or some kind of AC disinfectant from the auto parts store and spray it into what’s called the plenum.
The plenum is a box that connects to your HVAC system, and the intake can be found at the base of your windshield where your wipers are located. You will see vents there, and that’s the plenum. That’s where the air comes from that goes into your heating and cooling system.
Spray the cleaner liberally into both sides of the plenum intake vent, and the fans will pull it into the system, where it will kill the bacteria and help get rid of that musty odor. You’ll want to keep your windows open to help air out the car. If you have a cabin filter, remove that before you spray the disinfectant to help it move through the system. It might be a good time to change it, too, because a dirty filter can prevent optimal airflow. Cabin filters are usually pretty easy to get to, often mounted behind the glove compartment door.
To help maintain your vents in the summer, turn off the air conditioner and let the fans run for a few minutes before turning off the car’s ignition. This will help clear out some of the moisture that forms in the AC vents.

Last edited:
@ chic0821

I have no leaks in the car, so no rainforest yet windows are always dry.

Perhaps I'm to quick to rule out the silica bags?
Maybe I should give these bags a chance for a few weeks to see if they are good or not?

During winter season I always opened all 4 doors to air out the trapped smell when I went to check my car.
This didn't help very much.

I had my AC drains checked for clogging, no problems there.

On my M3, I open the oil filler cap and put a bit of oil in the top to get the cams lubed up. It is likely the cam lobes will be dry as the oil will have made it's way to the bottom of the engine over winter.

It is has been sitting for 6 months without being turned over then I I would inspect belts and electrical areas for pooled water ingress.

Taking the plugs out is a good idea, in my opinion of the car is stored over winter and turned over once a month for 15 mins or so I doubt you would need to do that.

short term 15 min cold starts in storage is not good for any engine oil.
Oil will probably degrade with humidity?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom