Started Cycling to Work - My Awards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Londonscottish

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E500 & Fiat 500
Decided to try cycling into work to get fit and surprised how easy and quick it is. Just over 7.5 miles door to door, current personal best 33 mins.

Here are the awards I am handing out. Three go to Mercedes drivers but only one for a good reason......

Best Overtake (of me)
Black Porsche 928 GTS on Kilburn High Road last night. Great V8 woofle

Bext Overtake (by me)
CL AMG 63 in Regent's park (well, he was stationary at the time....)

Most Inance Cyclists
Tied in first place - the guy who jumped a light in Portland Place last night in the rain and nearly had me off. The woman who veered from the right to the left and back to right of the bus lane in Gower Street this morning without once looking - three near misses in thirty feet.....

Most Inane Motor motorists
Tied in first place - The imbecile in the M class who drove through a flood in Regents Park last night and nearly drowned me. And he was going the OTHER DIRECTION!! The Woman in the E Class who was trying to park in the centre of Portland Place the changed her mid and veered over to the LHS kerb with a pack of vehicles descending on her, me in the lead...... She nearly had me off then rammed the kerb. Justice. Heh Heh.

I used to cycle to work, only 2 miles and can empathise :)

On my mountain bike some skinny slick tyres and SPD shoes made a big difference to my journey time.

I'm Riding to work at the mo...its great

Best time I had when I was cycling properly was 22.30 for 10miles but then that was on my proper racing bike with slicks etc.

I agree with above my tyres on teh MTB would not look out of place on a Milatary Landrover, I'm going to change then for the tyoe with the ridge in the middle. Makes a huge difference. although they do may a great sound whe you bobing on.

Last edited:
Yeah it can be tricky out there. I ride very defensively on the basis that if I assume that everyone is blind AND moronic I'll have a chance of avoiding as many accidents as possible.

To be fair to drivers (I am one myself) it's had to see cyclists when there's so much going on all around. Although the M Class driver had no excuse - he was just being a selfish t**t.

I am harder on the cyclists - I don't mid them jumping red lights - but jumping lights and nearly t-boning me and refusing to acknowledge it is another question entirely.....

As for the female cyclist randomly and repeated changing lanes.....Charles Darwin will see to her.

In terms of the bike my Diamondback on slicks is quick and manoeverable if a little small and low-geared.

I want to get a Cannondale Bad Boy with discs on the tax free scheme but I think I'll to wait till the beginning of the 2010 tax year as that's the way my employer has set the scheme up. B***er :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom