Starter Motor - lubricating flywheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whitey

Car
Seat Arosa 1.4 Auto :-(
Guys

Been reading most of the net regarding starter motor problems ie. earth straps, motor rebuild etc.

I read about lightly greasing the flywheel via an access panel in the bell housing - now, should I try this or just get a new starter and be done with it ?!

Thanks !

Whitey

I read about lightly greasing the flywheel via an access panel in the bell housing - now, should I try this?Whitey

Never heard of greasing the flywheel before now!...........dont do it!, any grease on the flywheel or starter bendix will cause you problems.

Hi,
This is the recognised fix I believe but I always thought that was for the V Engines, MB apparently do a "SPECIAL" lubricant/grease for this.

Just helps the starter to engage on the teeth of the flywheel.

Just helps the starter to engage on the teeth of the flywheel.

The flywheel is best kept free of any lubricants, any grease on it will attract grime/dust and could cause problems with the bendix becoming clogged.

I have yet to go have a look at the connections, earth straps etc as it is frickin' cold and I can use SWMBO's car for the meantime.

I've done a starter on a few cars and have enjoyed the 'modern' sound they can bring to starting. On my Citroen BX the replacement starter replacement was a 1/3 size of the original !

Thanks for the comments so far though !

Bosch and the job is done.

New starter fitted - sounds like a Nissan micra now, but at least it starts !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom