Starting a diesel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crazyfool

Car
(14) E350 AMG Sport Estate Obsidian Black & (16) E400 AMG Line Convertible White
Sorry if this is a stupid question but it's my first diesel.

I've noticed on the cold mornings the car sounds terrible and struggles to start first time.

Am I supposed to leave the ignition on for a while before turning the engine over?

Yes, generally. Does the car have a users manual...

I did wonder. I knew it was required on the older engines but thought they had found a solution to the process.

I have a user manual but of course I hardly read it!!!

Wait till the little twirly yellow symbol goes off and then start. It will or should fire immediately. If not , you may have a glow plug it or relay issue.

Our SLK 250CDi starts at the touch of the key
Our E-Class 250CDi benefits from a slight delay between ignition on and starting. This may be due to it having sat for a couple of months with not much use:dk:
My L200 needs the delay, particularly winter mornings. My usual procedure is ignition on, seat-belt & glasses on, start.

Been meaning to query this myself. I know you're meant to wait for the glow plug light to go out. Is that just in cold conditions for fear of freezing fuel or does the glow plug need to do its thing in the summer too?

Normal cold starting proceedure for a diesel.

Ignition on :thumb:

Glow plug light goes out after 2 - 3 seconds :thumb:

Turn up the audio ,above normal levels, prior to starting :thumb:

Make sure all windows are fully closed :thumb:

Start car :thumb:

Drive slowly until out of earshot of neighbours who are thinking there is a tractor / tank / truck in close proximity :mad:

Once warmed up there is no need for the above steps 2 - 3 - 4 , just enjoy the torquey motor and low fuel consumption.

On a serious note on really cold mornings i wait an extra few seconds once the glow plug light has went out before i start the car and it always fires up straight away.

Kenny

I've noticed on the cold mornings the car sounds terrible and struggles to start first time.
It should start fine without any delay until the ambient temperature gets well below zero at which point the car's starting system will introduce a slight delay while the glow plugs do their job.

My E350CDI started immediately in all conditions I experienced (down to -8c) while I had it so I'd suggest asking your dealer to take a look at your car.

On a serious note on really cold mornings i wait an extra few seconds once the glow plug light has went out before i start the car and it always fires up straight away.

Kenny

Why wait for a the few seconds before starting? Is the theory that the plugs will transfer their heat into the cylinder head?

Why wait for a the few seconds before starting? Is the theory that the plugs will transfer their heat into the cylinder head?
They don't , hence the delay.

Normal cold starting proceedure for a diesel.

Ignition on :thumb:

Glow plug light goes out after 2 - 3 seconds :thumb:

Turn up the audio ,above normal levels, prior to starting :thumb:

Make sure all windows are fully closed :thumb:

Start car :thumb:

Drive slowly until out of earshot of neighbours who are thinking there is a tractor / tank / truck in close proximity :mad:

Once warmed up there is no need for the above steps 2 - 3 - 4 , just enjoy the torquey motor and low fuel consumption.

Kenny
You're being to harsh Kenny , the V6 diesels are not that bad. You should hear my neighbors cash cow , it sounds worse than a tractor

You're being to harsh Kenny , the V6 diesels are not that bad. You should hear my neighbors cash cow , it sounds worse than a tractor

The chap across the road has a Land cruiser and it makes a terrible racket when it starts , it can be heard clearly from 60ft away through triple glazing and over the noise of the TV.

But you expect that as it is a "working vehicle" . When i first got the CLS a mate popped over for a look and when i started it he said " i wasn't expecting that noise from a car like that" :eek: , once warmed up and under acceleration he soon saw the advantages of a largish diesel lump.

The BM 3.0L seems a much more refined unit than the one in my CLS as we have a X6 close by and it sounds nothing like the mechanical mayhem that escapes from under the CLS bonnet.

Kenny

On older Diesels ( like my 406) which are not common rail they rely heavily on good glow plug function to help cold ignition. Common rail engines higher fuel pressures and corresponding finer fuel atomisation relate to easier fuel detonation. Combined with up to 5 'dosings' of fuel per firing cycle a very small amount of fuel can be initially injected to get the flame front going and more 'added to the fire' throughout the initially stroke. Older mechanical injection despite having very fine metering properties cannot stop and start fuel injection hence the preignition from fuel igniting from the glow plugs earlier than normal on a cold start.

I think the delay is God making you feel the pain of your actions in choosing a diesel and giving you time to think about your use of the Devils fuel.

Every time you use your motor vehicle your killing the environment and creating that sound you hear from a diesel, disappointment personified.

I think the delay is God making you feel the pain of your actions in choosing a diesel and giving you time to think about your use of the Devils fuel.

Every time you use your motor vehicle you're killing the environment and creating that sound you hear from a diesel, disappointment personified.

Banned for bringing God into the equation and failing to tell the difference between your & you're.

Ant. :D

The chap across the road has a Land cruiser and it makes a terrible racket when it starts , it can be heard clearly from 60ft away through triple glazing and over the noise of the TV.

But you expect that as it is a "working vehicle" . When i first got the CLS a mate popped over for a look and when i started it he said " i wasn't expecting that noise from a car like that" :eek: , once warmed up and under acceleration he soon saw the advantages of a largish diesel lump.

The BM 3.0L seems a much more refined unit than the one in my CLS as we have a X6 close by and it sounds nothing like the mechanical mayhem that escapes from under the CLS bonnet.

Kenny

Interesting how peoples perceptions differ - I have three diesel vehicles - 2012 Renault 1.5dCi, 2008 Ford 2.2 TDCi and the 2007 320CLS CDi. The V6 lump hot or cold is in a different refinement class from the others. There does seem to be a good level of soundproofing within the engine bay as with the bonnet open and the engine cover removed it is pretty noisy but otherwise it is a refined motor. Whilst driving there is no mistaking it for a petrol engine but it is most certainly not the rattly industrial oil burner the D badge usually indicates. Still smells much like my oil fired central heating boiler though.....

Every time you use your motor vehicle your killing the environment and creating that sound you hear from a diesel, disappointment personified.

You know you're correct (hazy grammer intended:thumb:). For the handful of miles I put on the CLS, I wish I had bought a petrol model.

You know you're correct (hazy grammer intended:thumb:). For the handful of miles I put on the CLS, I wish I had bought a petrol model.

I was only jesting :D

Diesels IMO don't really make sense anymore I have had petrol engines achieving similar to diesels on economy front, plus petrol is cleaner.

I think I meant "grammar".

No offence taken Stuart - However, last week I ran a new LWB Vivaro van for 1300 miles over two days and managed to average nearly 58mpg. I just could not see a petrol powered van making that economy....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom