Starting engine problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sedstevo

Car
MB C200 Classic
Hello, I have an intermittent problem starting the car some days. The key is placed in the ignition and the engine turns over but will not fire. I look at the interior mirror alarm lights and they are flashing. I blip the alarm to activate and then blip again to deactivate. Go through the procedure above and the car will still not start. I then go to the alarm panel in the footwell and power off for a second. I then restart the car and it fires first time. I can go through a week or two with no problems and then it returns again. The frequency of this though is starting to increase. My questions are, is this a key fob problem (the batteries appear to be Ok when checked via the handbook) – do I need a new key, or is it likely to be the alarm it self? Does the alarm system recognize the key when it is in the ignition? Any help most appreciated.

Regards

Steve

Firstly fit new batteries. If the lights continue to flash after the fob is pressed then the alarm is still active.

Also if you try to start the car too quickly after the alarm has been de-activated then the immobiliser cuts back in as an anti car-jacking measure.

next go for key then alarm module.

Thanks for the update and will do as suggested.

I heard from an AA patrol man who has known of problems with other manufacturers where the signal between the key and the ignition sensor has been corrupted so that the key will operate the locking mechanisms but not register with the alarm. I would be grateful if someone could advise if there is a sensor in the ignition of my MB C200 (’96) that recognizes the key.

Regards

Steve

I have noticed that if the fob batterys are drained the red and green lights on the RVM and door handles flash at the same time, and keep flashing for longer periods after disabling the system.If left too long the doors will open but the imobilizer will not disarm.
When you fit new batterys in the fob you can reprogram the system your self by pointing the transmitter to the receiver and briefly press transmitter button twice.Turn the key in the ignition lock to position 2 within aprox 30 seconds.That is what I had to go through last year.thankfully there was a very nice receptionist willing to talk me though it.

Last edited:
If the car is pre '97 then the only immobilisation is built into the alarm if at all.
If it's MY '97 then there is a transponder in the key which interfaces with a coil in the steering column and an additional module.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom