Starting problem.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bombardier

Car
2009 C180K
Bit of a dilemma here, started a couple of weeks ago, here are the symptoms.
2009 C180K, when i put the key in the ignition I hear the steering lock noise so that definitely is not the problem, I then turn the key to position 1 and all the lights on the dash light up but then when I turn it to the crank position.......... nothing, just silence.
I turn the key off and on again, sometimes it takes a couple of times to start, sometimes 7 or 8 times of turning it on and off, this only happens when the engine is cold.
I assumed the battery was in need of changing so I've just replaced it (at an unbelievable cost of £145) and this morning the same thing happened.
My Indi that fitted the battery and put it on STAR stated no faults were present, anybody any idea where I go next?

Check the earth straps for the starter motor.

Some members here myself included had similar issues (though not as bad as you describe) on various models.

I had my car (W203) tested by Terry WG and no faults were found.

Unfortunately it can be any of very many things.... EIS, Inhibitor switch, front SAM, starter motor, battery, etc, or a loose wire somewhere.

In my case Terry cleaned and tightened the starter motor connectors (simply because that's the easiest to do) and the issue hasn't occurred since, though given its intermittent nature it will take a couple more months before I can say if the issue is resolved or not.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but just a thought, could it be the key?
I may try using my spare key for a few days to see if it happens with that.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but just a thought, could it be the key?
I may try using my spare key for a few days to see if it happens with that.

Yes, this is usually the first thing to try....

An update.
The problem was the battery in the key, not the incredibly expensive battery under the bonnet!
You live and learn.............

Hi Bimbadier

I have the same problem with my B200t. My key functions well to open/lock the doors but once I can push it the car will start and it will start normally with a key afterwards.

Sent from my SM-G360H using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom