Starting problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marcos

MB Enthusiast
Car
C43 estate
My W211 E320 CDi has developed a starting problem.
Normally the car starts on the second crank of the engine, about .5 secs to 1 sec. It now wont start until it has been cranking over for about 4 to 5 seconds. It is such a difference from normal that is is a little worrying. I always wait for the glowplug light to go out but it has been quite mild today so I don't think it is related to that.
It has gone on a diagnostic machine and was found to have no fault but I am a little worried.
Any ideas?

-have you check the glow plugs? if it is warm out (t-shirt and shorts weather), then the plugs shouldn't matter and it should be able to start without them. if it starts (or still has the same prob) in the warm weather, my GUESS is it isnt the plugs then.
-ever check fuel pump or starter?

Yes, failing glow plugs may be cause of your problem. Even when one fails you will really know difference when cold. Recommend you replace all before you start spending real money at Merc stealerships. Good luck!

Originally posted by marcos
My W211 E320 CDi has developed a starting problem.
Normally the car starts on the second crank of the engine, about .5 secs to 1 sec. It now wont start until it has been cranking over for about 4 to 5 seconds. It is such a difference from normal that is is a little worrying. I always wait for the glowplug light to go out but it has been quite mild today so I don't think it is related to that.
It has gone on a diagnostic machine and was found to have no fault but I am a little worried.
Any ideas?

Take it back to the dealer and thow all the toys out your pram , arrange for them to keep it for a few days to let them see the cold start and demand a courtrey car. Demand an auto so they don't also land you with an A class. IN fact , call mobilo as they will do more for you than the dealer. Ive been told this by a dealer that its better to call them rather than try and limp in with youre broken car. Just basically cause a srink as youve paid a lot of money for you car and you demamd better than a 10 year old ford !!

Came back from Madrid pn tuesday night, jumped into the car on wednesday morning and guess what? It would not start, just turned over and over.
Got towed to the dealer and expected it back today but I have been told it needs a new injection rail!!!
I am feeling a bit peed off now. They gave me a C200 Kompressor which is actually not bad but its not the same as a E320 CDI and I can't seem to get the dealers to understand this.
At least I've got wheels though but I am begining to get a little bit fed up with my car, in its first year I have had more problems with it than I did in 7 years of C-Class ownership.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom