Starting probs CLK 320

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andarcomodante

Car
Mercedes 300TE Auto
Hi All,

Not been on for a while when some of you kindly helped on a problem aI had with my old 300TE.

Hoping you can help again.

After much pressure from the wife I have bought her a 2000 CLK 320 as a bit of a project. The car is very clean and straight but has a wee problem:

With the key in all lights up as normal but the starter wont engage. When you turn the key there is no noise at all. It is like when it is in D Drive and is inhibited. The guy I bought it from showed me the starter working by shorting contacts in the starter relay and it turned over, but nothing on the key.

Is this a known issue or where would be a good place to start.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.

I am guessing it could be many things, from faulty EIS to a faulty gear selector module. Best option is get the codes read on Star to see what faults flag up before you start down the road of replacing bits.

Thanks,

My first step was going to be to try and prove the AT lockout as thats mostly what the symptoms suggest. Does anyone know if there is a way to bypass the lockout or trick the system?
Im thinking as well if its a mechanical fault with the selector switches it may not show up as a fault code?

I am pretty sure it will flag up a code. Does the cluster show the correct gear when you move out of park to D, N etc?

Hi,

Ive just checked.

The main screen says No malfunction, there is a yellow exclamation triangle.

I didnt see at first as it has lost some pixels but the smaller display DOES change when you move the selector.

ta.

get the codes read on STAR, not a generic code reader and I am sure they will soon diagnose your fault.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom