Starting The Engine During "Downtime"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
When the snow's down, my car doesn't leave the drive.

Let's assume it won't move for a number of weeks (like last year).

Do I take the battery off, and will it have any adverse affects on electronics when disconnecting/re-connecting?

If I leave the battery on, should I start the car every few days?

If I do start the car, do I leave it running until it's reached temperature?

Thoughts please.

It's just a car. It will be fine.

ETA - Saab had 3 months off in 2010, over the winter, with snow up to the windows. Started on first turn of the key. Now that was a car.

Cover it up and don't worry fella!
Ignore all the nonsense about chargers/hooking up life support machines etc.
Just make sure it's under a well insulated cover with a good battery on it and it will be fine
And don't forget the hot water bottle :thumb:

Hello

As others have said it should be fine, If your concerned get a CteK charger

CTEK® Chargers - Award Winning Battery Chargers & Conditioners | UK Shop

You can get some leads that plug in sort of quick release.

My dad regularly leaves his cars for weeks at a time, the SL sometimes months and they start ok.

Only recently however he did buy one of these as the SL has two battery's and he felt it was struggling.

Should be fine, if your at all worried I have a couple of garages and the odd nice day I will start it.... and take it for a gentle potter over the Cat & Fiddle.... :)

^ A free service for a forum member :)

When the snow's down, my car doesn't leave the drive.

Let's assume it won't move for a number of weeks (like last year).

Do I take the battery off, and will it have any adverse affects on electronics when disconnecting/re-connecting?

If I leave the battery on, should I start the car every few days?

If I do start the car, do I leave it running until it's reached temperature?

Thoughts please.

What did you do last year?
Was the car effected?
Why the concern this year?

Just asking.

Do not disconnect the battery if you want to avoid a world of pain. Chances are the backup battery will help store all the vital parameters but its only designed as a short term measure. God knows how the latest stop start units tie into this arrangement. If your car is garaged or secure under cover I would seriously consider coupling up an intelligent charger to the main battery if you intend to leave the car idle for more than 3 weeks. Modern cars are heavily reliant on their electronic systems to function properly. Dodgy batteries that will start a car can still produce a myriad of weird "pseudo" electronic faults if they are not in tip top condition. Keeping the battery charged up will extend its life keep it warm and make it more resistant to frost damage. A good charger will cost around £60 and cost pence to run once its on a trickle charge cycle.- Why wouldn't you? :dk:

What did you do last year?
Was the car effected?
Why the concern this year?

Just asking.

Last year was a different car, that I'd owned for a while, so I knew it's capabilities.

This one is new to me, and it's a big lump, so I thought I'd ask, as a precaution.

I often don't use mine for a month at a time. I sometimes think I should start and run the engine, but the 270CDi would probably never warm up at idle. It's no good doing short journies either - it needs a run of towards 20 miles to warm it up thoroughly.

I would imagine your car would warm up bit quicker!

I often don't use mine for a month at a time. I sometimes think I should start and run the engine, but the 270CDi would probably never warm up at idle. It's no good doing short journies either - it needs a run of towards 20 miles to warm it up thoroughly.

I would imagine your car would warm up bit quicker!

There's a separate oil temperature and water temperature screen in the speedo, where the oil temperature flashes until it reaches 85 degrees (I think).

I could run it until the oil is fully up to temp - it's whether it's a good idea or not really.

I'm a firm believer in NOT running an engine if the car's laid-up. Why would you? If it's cold it's cold and that's that. Getting it hot for a short period just to let it get cold again has no benefit whatsoever and the time that an engine is run when it's cold is the time that the most damage is done to the bore and rings. To do that in multiples of 1 seems perverse to me.

As a young man, one afternoon in the winter, I meant to leave my Sierra running in the yard to warm up for 5-10 minutes.
I then got distracted by a delivery and a customer turning up. It was over an hour later that I realised...
It was never the same after that, as tappety as could be, even after having attention at a good local garage.

Just leave it on a battery conditioner and it'll be fine. Me? I'd take it out for a bit of opposite lockery !!

As a young man, one afternoon in the winter, I meant to leave my Sierra running in the yard to warm up for 5-10 minutes.
I then got distracted by a delivery and a customer turning up. It was over an hour later that I realised...
It was never the same after that, as tappety as could be, even after having attention at a good local garage.

Oil pumps are not very efficient at tick over. If I have to start mine in icy weather to clear the screen etc, I make sure the accelerator is pressed slightly to rev at 1500-2000rpm to ensure oil is getting to the top end while it warms up.

Russ

As said already john, cover it up and don't worry abt it, or get a set of winter rims and tyres and enjoy it.

Mine gets used all year round, no hibernation for this beast

Don't run the engine at idle to warm it, just induces condensation in the exhaust as that will not reach operating temp. If you are not going to take it for a decent run leave it connected to a trickle charger. Ctek are the same as supplied by MB and thoroughly recommended.

Hello

As others have said it should be fine, If your concerned get a CteK charger

CTEK® Chargers - Award Winning Battery Chargers & Conditioners | UK Shop

You can get some leads that plug in sort of quick release.

They are called "Comfort Connect" and the charger I purchased came with the eyelet version which attaches via the battery clamp bolts.

However not very long so bought one of the extension cables which make life really easy.

www.ctek.com

With dual batteries such as those found on the W211, be aware that the second small battery is disconnected via a relay so that will not get charged/conditioned apart from which you really need to charge it using the "small battery" setting so connect directly.

Oh and I was advised not to use the "cold weather" setting if battery is still on car because the voltage kicks up to 14.7V which can cause problems in some cases, which means for long term outdoor use one with the automatic temperature adjustment feature might not suit.

3 months is a relatively short time for any of the mechanics to need attention. You might get a bit of surface rust on the brake discs which will self clean after a few applications of the brakes on the first journey.
The Batteries may last the 3 month rest but why take the chance, batteries don't like being left unused, worst still, left to stand, partially discharged and in the cold, all of which add up to battery hell!
You don't need to spend £60 on a charger but it does need to be SMART, Lidl/Aldi often sell a Ctek replica 3.6 amp SMART charger at under £15 which will happily keep your batteries in optimum condition and can be left connected for weeks without damage.
Not very powerful but then it doesn't need to be, this is a conditioning charger not a 'bulk' charger, it is ideal for this sort of long term use.
Connect it to the main battery every 4-6 weeks for 2-3 days and the same for the backup.

Martin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom