Starting-up a 1992 190E after 18 months of Non-Use

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steviebabes

Car
2009 Cayenne S 4.8 V8 Petrol
Hi Everyone,

I have agreed to visit a friend in a few weeks time, to help get his 1992 190E 1.8 presentable for sale. He should really have sold it years ago, but it was his retirement death car* so he has a strong attachment.

It has sat in his back yard for the past two or three years, and hasn't even been started for approximately 18 months. Prior to this, he was turning over the engine periodically and it was starting first time.

Thankfully, it is quite low in petrol so I'm hoping the 5 or so litres I take up with me will refresh the blend as I understand old fuel deteriorates.

I'll also take copious quantities of coolant.

I am just a layperson who'd like to help - so I'd appreciate any tips on what to do / not to do before or during the starting-up procedure.

*an anticipated final car - usually brand-new and "sensible" - and bought from the pension lump sum with the hope it will "see me out" as it has a manufacturer's warranty and no hidden history. :D

Some time ago I took advice on how to start an Evo II which had been laid up for 11 years.

1. Check it has oil
2. Undo the HT lead
3. Connect a good battery
4. Spin the engine up to check it has oil pressure
5. Re-connect the HT lead
6. Start the engine.

Modern oils have tremendous stickability, don't worry.

Let us know how you get on.

Done it a few times with the old cars my Dad tended to leave lying around.

He never sold any of them, either gave them away or got parked up in an outbuilding "pending renovation", something which became a family joke.

Routine was to check levels, suss out obvious leaks, drain out the old fuel, replace with fresh, change the oil, take the spark plugs out and inject a small amount of engine oil into each of the cylinder bores, connect up decent battery and spin engine on starter.

With no compression should spin freely which helps to get the oil around and certainly a winner in old cars with mechanical fuel pumps.

Don't forget to check out the braking system! I nearly put a Mk II Cortina through the garden wall because I was so chuffed at having got it going.

I'd just connect it to a battery & start it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom