Statistics for you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Wish the BBC News would do something worthwhile with the money that we provide them with.

Double-yolked eggs FFS

They didn't even come up with an answer .....

Wish the BBC News would do something worthwhile with the money that we provide them with....

I thought the Egg Yolks piece was spot on...
confused.gif

That's the sort of stuff we're paying them for...

That's the sort of stuff we're paying them for...

Eh ?

Can you please show me where on the BBC Charter that applies ?

It's no more than a quick debunk on linear statistical analysis. Nothing to do with news.

I doubt the story was true ...

Well... made up or not, I still think it's a nice story... I found it very entertaining. ;)

Can you please show me where on the BBC Charter that applies?

Have you ever listened to More or Less, LTD?

It's educational in an entertaining way (if you like that sort of thing), and is a very pleasant way to pass half an hour. It may be of limited value to a proper statistician, but to those of us that only got as far as Statistics O Level...

True or not, the eggs can be seen as just a vehicle to demonstrate the principle involved in calculating the statistical probability.

Last edited:
Whoops! The BBC seem to have slipped up a little on the educational standards front. The iPlayer blurb for this edition of More or Less says:

Tim Harford on National Literacy Trust figures, the maths of supermarket price wars, eurozone statistics and the odds of cracking six double-yoke eggs in a row.

Well... made up or not, I still think it's a nice story... I found it very entertaining. ;)

You mean it was an eggcelent story.

However I suppose you would need to break lots of the eggs to find out, maybe make some omelettes rather than waste? Now that would be a cracking idea :D:D

A nice change of news story from all the doom and gloom currently broadcast, although some have moaned already about such light heartedness. :thumb:

Straight from Sellafield:

2HeadedChix.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom