Statistics Help... (ANOVA/T-Test)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
I need a quick hand...

I have some data, mainly falling into the following categories:
* Operating System (Linux, Windows, Macintosh, Other)
* Answer (Yes, No)

* Other questions (format: selection from a set of string)

I want to do some form of statistical analysis beyond averages... but stats isn't my forte!

I've been told to look at an ANOVA test or a T-Test, and am using SOFA for the analysis... but both the ANOVA and T-test seem to need a numerical column to analyse...

Can anyone give me a pointer? If I replace Yes with '1' and No with '-1' will that give valid results?

M.

Bump...

Had a look as SCSS... but I can't figure out how to get it to do a non-numerical type test...

Ideas?

I'm not a statistician but.....

Having a quick look at both ANOVA and T-tests, these appear to suit only those sets of results where there is a range of values. The data you're suggesting has only 2 values, yes or no, so I cannot see how these could be used.

What sort of analysis are you trying to make?

By the way, in substituting numbers for bi-value variables I've always found that 1 and 0 are easier to work with.

Last edited:
[FONT=helvetica, arial, ms sans serif]Is this of any use?? It does relate to situations which have only 2 possible outcomes and is therefore synonymous with your yes/no results.[/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica, arial, ms sans serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica, arial, ms sans serif]Binomial distributions model (some) discrete random variables.[/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica, arial, ms sans serif]Typically, a binomial random variable is the number of successes in a series of trials, for example, the number of 'heads' occurring when a coin is tossed 50 times.[/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica, arial, ms sans serif]A discrete random variable X is said to follow a Binomial distribution with parameters n and p, written X ~ Bi(n,p) or X ~ B(n,p), if it has probability distribution [/FONT][FONT=helvetica, arial, ms sans serif]
bindist.gif
[/FONT][FONT=helvetica, arial, ms sans serif]where [/FONT][FONT=helvetica, arial, ms sans serif]x = 0, 1, 2, ......., n [/FONT][FONT=helvetica, arial, ms sans serif]n = 1, 2, 3, ....... [/FONT][FONT=helvetica, arial, ms sans serif]p = success probability; 0 < p < 1 [/FONT][FONT=helvetica, arial, ms sans serif]
bindist1.gif
[/FONT] [FONT=helvetica, arial, ms sans serif]The trials must meet the following requirements: [/FONT]

1. [FONT=helvetica, arial, ms sans serif][/FONT][FONT=helvetica, arial, ms sans serif]
  2. the total number of trials is fixed in advance;
  3. there are just two outcomes of each trial; success and failure;
  4. the outcomes of all the trials are statistically independent;
  5. all the trials have the same probability of success.[/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica, arial, ms sans serif]The Binomial distribution has expected value E(X) = np and variance V(X) = np(1-p).[/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica, arial, ms sans serif]Examples

binomial_10_0.5.gif
binomial_10_0.25.gif
[/FONT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom