Stealer has me by the short & curlies!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimmy

MB Enthusiast
Car
Discovery 3 TDV6, Discovery 300TDi - Plaything!
Some of you may remember I had a problem when I bought my car in that the horn would sound whenever I removed the key from the ignition. This was diagnosed by an auto electrician as a faulty front SAM unit. When I spoke to my local dealer they confirmed that this is a common problem and the front SAM's were a common replacement item.

I tried getting one from V12 on the cheap but I heard conflicting views about if they need to be coded or programmed to the vehicle or not. I tried my local dealer who I have never got on that well with and they just confirmed my thoughts that MB dealers are all t@ssers!!

I then tried a dealer in Leicestershire where I bought my first C180 from and my father has bought countless new MB's from, the parts dept were very helpful and friendly and said yes it needs to be ordered to the chassis number and then programmed once fitted to the car. He said he could order it then once it arrives I could fit it in the car park and then the service dept would plug the car in to the computer and code it whilst I wait and charge me half an hours work. Fair enough I thought, so I ordered it back in July it arrived last Friday!!!

I phoned today to arrange when would be best to come and fit it and get it coded, 'We would need your car for a day and it will cost 2 hours @ £76/hour'. So I explained what the parts man told me about fitting it myself and getting them to code it, 'We cant do that Sir! We have to fit it here'

I said to her, 'You're funnier than the Two Ronnies!, 2 hours @ £76/hour for replacing a part that I have removed and replaced in less than 10 minutes. You have been rumbled, what a scam!!. No reply, just a nervous giggle!!!

So basically does anybody know a dealer or somebody who works for a dealer who would code a new SAM unit for less than £152??

Otherwise the warranty company will be getting another claim soon.

I had a new SAM fitted at an independant garage - they have no Star machine. I would just fit it.

EDIT: Mine did have to be ordered by chassis number as there are a few different ones, and the 1st one we got was the wrong fitment physically.

I say this is a complete scam - just fit it!!

Last edited:
Can they refuse to issue you with a part that you have bought?
confused.gif

I'd go with Graham's idea of fitting it yourself. Otherwise ask to speak to the service manager rather than one of the receptionists that answers the phone. If you get no joy there then ask to speak to the dealer manager. Failing all that how about Andy Gayle?

S.

Thanks guys,

I have made some more phone calls, the conclusion seems to be the same, just fit it!!

If I have any problems with the SAM unit I will get in touch Greg, thanks for that. (Nothing dodgy I hope Greg? I dont do dodgy:) )

It's another Dealer/MB Scam!!

I received my SAM unit today, didn't know if I should just fit it myself or get it done properly by a dealer and get it 'coded'. Have had lots of conflicting info and advice. So I phoned 4 other dealers today to ask their opinion, one said straight away that yes it needs fitting and coding by a MB dealer, another two didn't know so they made some enquiries and rang me back with the same advice.

The other said no it does not need coding as they are made specifically for the vehicle and so are coded from the factory. This and the advice from my two local dealers saying it needs coding once fitted was all very confusing.

I took a gamble and fitted it myself! :crazy: , glad to say everything seems OK. I have tested every possible electric circuit and everything works and it has thankfully cured my original horn problem. That is the horn would sound whenever the key was removed from the ignition, which I temporarily cured by rewiring the earth for the horn relay.

But (theres always a but!) I am still getting voltage at my front and rear washer pumps that varies with the interior fan speed setting??

Would somebody be kind enough to measure the voltage at their washer pump to see if it is normal or not. At full fan speed I get 1.7 volts, on setting 1 I get 0.8 volts.

Various people have told me this is a 'feature' to keep the screenwash agitated, to keep the pipes slightly pressurised or to prevent freezing. I dont agree, why would it be linked to the interior fan??

Keeping my fingers crossed that somebody can advise of their washer pump voltage.;)

James,

I will check mine tomorrow afternoon after work unless anyone is kind enough to check theirs before then.

Just had a look at mine(yes i know its 10.30 at night but what the hell)Had the ignition on but engine not running at fan speed 1 it read 0.01v at 4 it read the same 0.01v.Dont know if this is of any help with me having the pre face lift car but its done know.Hope it helps:D

Edit....WIth the fan set to zero the voltage read 0.00v

Last edited:
Jimmy

It sounds like there may be a bad earth connection so some power creeps back upto other circuits like the washer pump.
if not then it has to be after the fan speed regulator so start looking there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom