Stealer refusal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

et0609

Car
E350d
Hi,

I wanted an ipod kit fitted to my 2005 w203. I purchased the bracket and interface from the mb online parts website. I phoned my dealer to ask to make an appointment to have it fitted and they are saying that because I didnt order the parts via them, they will not do it.

They hadnt even heard of the website mercedes-benz-parts.co.uk. I havnt received the parts yet, due tomorrow, but am i right in thinking they are genuine parts from mercedes themselves? Trouble is, we live in the far north of scotland and the nearest dealer is Inverness, the next nearest is Perth, 200 miles away.

Any advice would be appreciated before I start complaining to the dealer. Thanks.

et0609 said:
am i right in thinking they are genuine parts from mercedes themselves? .

No - they are the largest independant Mercedes dealer according to the site so they are not MB hence why your dealer doesn't want to know. However the parts should be genuine MB which is what I think you're saying - but you haven't bought them direct from MB.

However, I don't understand why they won't fit them as you pay them the going rate and they check that they are genuine parts. My dealer would fit anything, within reason, as long as you pay the £85ph labour rate + vat;)

Agree with Pammy, its not often a dealer turns money down. Do they realise it is the oem part?

I dont think so, I did try to tell them they are genuine mercedes parts. The service manager is going to call me tomorrow so i'll probably have it out with him.

If you have sourced genuine MB parts from an approved MB Dealer Group.

Difficult to see the grounds on which another Delaer can then refuse to fit them without being clearly anti-competitive.

Unless of course they claim not have the required skills. :D

et0609 said:
I dont think so, I did try to tell them they are genuine mercedes parts. The service manager is going to call me tomorrow so i'll probably have it out with him.

Try reporting the Stealership to DC as they are genuine MB parts if the Staeler still refuses to do the install!

I am trying to look at this from both angles, but it does seem strange. I wonder if hte dealer misunderstood you, or do they have anyone that is competant enough to do the job?

SilverSaloon had problems and had to travel to a completely different dealership to have electrical work carried out to his vehicle (if indeed he elected to finally have it done)

I would get back to them and politely explain in detail (if you have not already) what you want carried out.

Good luck,
John

pammy said:
No - they are the largest independant Mercedes dealer according to the site so they are not MB hence why your dealer doesn't want to know. However the parts should be genuine MB which is what I think you're saying - but you haven't bought them direct from MB.

However, I don't understand why they won't fit them as you pay them the going rate and they check that they are genuine parts. My dealer would fit anything, within reason, as long as you pay the £85ph labour rate + vat;)

Pammy - I think they are proper MB Franchises .... I've bought an iPod kit from the same place, and their website and receipt is all branded and backed by Daimler-Chrysler etc - not quite sure how it works and of the difference between these guys (who have over 10 branches) and a Daimler Chrysler group dealership, but can't imagine that another MB dealer would regard them as an 'independent' - i.e. outside of the main dealer network ?

Or maybe I'm missing something !

S.

OK, my dealer is now doing my ipod kit on monday after some persuasion to the parts manager.

He quoted me an installation time of 3 hours. My car has telephone wiring and i thought it was an hour long job at the most because there was no need to programme anything. Is this right?

He quoted me £280 for the labour, luckily i have the parts myself, 3 hours and £280 seems a bit steep?

et0609 said:
He quoted me £280 for the labour, luckily i have the parts myself, 3 hours and £280 seems a bit steep?

Absolutely ridiculous price. Surely you aint going to pay that.

et0609 said:

Looks like Pammy was spot on with her figures

John

sym said:
Pammy - I think they are proper MB Franchises .... I've bought an iPod kit from the same place, and their website and receipt is all branded and backed by Daimler-Chrysler etc - not quite sure how it works and of the difference between these guys (who have over 10 branches) and a Daimler Chrysler group dealership, but can't imagine that another MB dealer would regard them as an 'independent' - i.e. outside of the main dealer network ?

Or maybe I'm missing something !

S.

Sym - it's their home page says they are independent. Have a look here http://www.mercedes-benz-parts.co.uk/default.aspx

About us

As the largest independent retailer of Mercedes-Benz in the UK we are dedicated to the provision of genuine parts to owners of Mercedes-Benz & smart passenger cars.

Quite how that cuts across I have no idea.

culpano said:
Absolutely ridiculous price. Surely you aint going to pay that.
They've quoted their hourly rate and it's a three hour job then I don't get the problem with the price. If et0609 wants it doing cheaper then there are other car audio fitters out there that prob would do it cheaper. We always have the power to walk away if we don't like a price that's quoted.

What I would expect though is that that is a maximum price quote and that if it takes less than 3 hours the bill would be adjusted accordingly;)

Looks like you dealer decided you will pay for the kit even though you already have it!

The worst install is supposed to be the Eclass (wiring front to back of car) and that is quoted as 2 hours!

et0609 said:
Hi,

I wanted an ipod kit fitted to my 2005 w203. I purchased the bracket and interface from the mb online parts website. I phoned my dealer to ask to make an appointment to have it fitted and they are saying that because I didnt order the parts via them, they will not do it.

They hadnt even heard of the website mercedes-benz-parts.co.uk. I havnt received the parts yet, due tomorrow, but am i right in thinking they are genuine parts from mercedes themselves? Trouble is, we live in the far north of scotland and the nearest dealer is Inverness, the next nearest is Perth, 200 miles away.

Any advice would be appreciated before I start complaining to the dealer. Thanks.

I think they can't, because of insurance liabilty claims, at least in the case of kwik fit. They simply aren't insured to fit 'other' parts. So my guesstimate it's the same case, though they have agreed to fit it for you in the end, so it's a happy ending for you at least. (except for the price - which may include their extra insurance premium? :) )

Im going to the dealer for something else and i will not pay for 3 hours labour if it should take more than an hour. I think the problem is the dealer is in Inverness and i dont think they do many of these.

I will see them on monday and confirm that they will not take 3 hours to do it, otherwise I will have to go elsehwhere. Trouble is, up here in the highlands, competant people to do this type of thing are not two a penny.

My understanding is that it is down to individual dealers and their own policy's wether they fit customer's own purchased parts or not.
We would fit genuine MB parts if the customer had sourced them on the understanding that there was no parts warranty on either the part or parts relating to the install.

IMO the dealer is just being over cautious.

It is always better to purchase direct from the main dealer even if the cost is a little bit more, you can always try to barter with the parts manager :) (works with me anyway) or even pretend your going to purchase some other accesories (had that before too)

Going main dealer means that you get some piece of mind with respect to any further issues. Saying that all main dealers aren't the same!

Oh and as for the pricing...

Our price to install an i-pod integration kit on a 203 would be £345 including vat

Parts only:-
Standard Retail:-
£132+ for the integration kit
£9.15+ for the holder

I would have probably done the pair at £119.98+ if you would have twisted my arm !

Last edited:
pammy said:
Sym - it's their home page says they are independent. Have a look here http://www.mercedes-benz-parts.co.uk/default.aspx

Quite how that cuts across I have no idea.

The website is run by Inchcape on behalf of their franchised Mercedes-Benz dealerships. They describe themselves as "Independent" because they are not owned by DaimlerChrysler.

The largest group of Mercedes-Benz franchised dealerships in the UK is DaimlerChrysler Retail which (as the name suggests) is wholly owned by DaimlerChrysler.

et0609 said:
Im going to the dealer for something else and i will not pay for 3 hours labour if it should take more than an hour. I think the problem is the dealer is in Inverness and i dont think they do many of these.

I will see them on monday and confirm that they will not take 3 hours to do it, otherwise I will have to go elsehwhere. Trouble is, up here in the highlands, competant people to do this type of thing are not two a penny.

I believe that the amount of work involved in fitting an iPod integration kit varies from model to model and also by the age of the vehicle. I was recently quoted 2.5 hours labour to fit the kit to a B-Class. I would expect them to quote the book time for the job and I can believe that the book time is 3 hours.

DC_insider said:
I believe that the amount of work involved in fitting an iPod integration kit varies from model to model and also by the age of the vehicle. I was recently quoted 2.5 hours labour to fit the kit to a B-Class. I would expect them to quote the book time for the job and I can believe that the book time is 3 hours.

I'll be doing this job myself this weekend, so will tell you exactly how long it takes ! Looking at the instructions I've received, there are a few fiddly bits, so it will probably take me longer than 3 hours by the time I have removed the necessary bits, fitted the kit, and put everything back together carefully . . . . but the price tag will be a lot lower !! :)

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom