steam clean engine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spookycat

Car
clk320 2001
does anybody know whether i can steam clean my engine and do i need to take any precautions on a c180 w202 thanks

Don't think steam cleaning is advised owing to the many sensors around the engine bay.

If you really want to, I guess waterproofing every sensor beforehand would cut down any risk, but I wouldn't consider it myself.

We usually steam clean on major servicing. Then finish with a polish.
I have done thousands and had very few problems!!!
I would advise paying a pro to do it personally

I have used spray gunk over engine and dirty parts and rinsed with pressure washer on several engines always worked fine and a nice clean finish

^ ditto

Did pressure washed few times as well and took straight on motorway blast.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

I dont think it is a great idea on a modern engine IMHO

DO NOT STEAM CLEAN YOUR ENGINE!!!!!

If you have a dirty engine or has a oil leak then get a cleaner and locally clean your engine then sprinkle water on it to wash it down, then using a high pressure air line dry the engine where you have cleaned.

If you are doing it for show purposes ie to make it look good then clean it part by part using a brush and engine cleaner to clean stubborn marks, then shower down before using a high pressure air line to dry the engine. To add a shine spray the entire engine using tyre Foam, this will clean any bits you have missed and leave a steak free shine to all rubber plastics and some metals.

If you experience any problems afterwards use ignition sealer its like WD40 spray all sensors connectors etc before using a high pressure line to dry any electrical sensors and components/connectors.

By the way the best advise is 'if it aint broke dont try to fix it!!!'

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom