Steam Clean

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

imadoofus

MB Enthusiast
Car
This and that.
Given the wiring loom problems with W124s (of which mine has no sign at all), is it a bad idea to get my engine bay steam cleaned?

PJ

So I'm going to have to use the old toothbrush and Gunk then?

PJ

imadoofus said:
Given the wiring loom problems with W124s (of which mine has no sign at all), is it a bad idea to get my engine bay steam cleaned?
I think you have answered your own question. With a wiring loom my adage is leave well alone that is working well!!

By introducing any cleaning agent, in my opinion you are risking penetration.

Clean with care and caution.

Good luck,
John

The loom may look fine - but more than likely if you were to take it apart you'd see that it wasn't well at all! A friend has replaced a few looms on peoples 124s and regardless of what they've looked like outside - upon inspection they're all knackered when touched.

As people have said - steam cleaning can only make things worse in this respect.

Some of the wiring problems are due to insulation breakdown. This process is accelerated by (a) heat and (b) humidity.

Steam Cleaning = Hot and Wet. So it is A Very Bad Idea!

The wiring loom on my e320 looked OK so I took a chance and cleaned the engine with degreaser and a garden hose. It ran like a dog for a few days until I sprayed everything with WD40. I wouldn't do it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom