Steamy front bonnet!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rizal2510

I'm just wondering if anybody has the same experience as me..my W202 does not have a full bonnet insulation, maybe have been taken out by the previous owner and on my list of to do.

If the car has been in light rain/shower, upon drying up there's some sort like steam/mist/vapour coming from the bonnet especially the area on the engine block...made it looks like the car is overheating but the engine temperature is fine, coolant level is ok, no backblow of exhaust fume to the engine compartment (my initial thought). The car is black, which makes it more noticable and have been getting a few kind gestures especially when queuing up in traffic :eek:

Anybody noticed anything like this esp with black cars? Would the bonnet insulation help to reduce this effect?

Thanks in advance!

Yep - same here - only when its raining lightly . . . . temp does get up to 90 / 95 I guess on the gauge, but never any higher - the fan obviously cuts in to cool things down.

Very odd - as when I last had my car serviced in germany, they said it was not running hot enough (!) and took some coolant out, apparently ! Its still exhibiting the "steaming" thing though ! Like you, I don't have the full bonnet insulation either, and would be interested to know if this is what's causing it.

S.

I've had this on most cars I've had. Not noticed it on the SLK though - but our Voyager certainly does it.

Two W202's and I have never had that. Both had full bonnet insulation though.

My C180 did the same, only had part insulation. Not noticed it on the C250 yet, that has full insulation under the bonnet.

What is the normal running temp for a 202?
I was stuck in traffic for about 1/2 hour the other week, and it was approaching the red area of the gauge! I understand the fan would have kicked in, but isnt that a bit hot?

KillerHERTZ said:
What is the normal running temp for a 202?
I was stuck in traffic for about 1/2 hour the other week, and it was approaching the red area of the gauge! I understand the fan would have kicked in, but isnt that a bit hot?

I'd say about 80-85 is normal . . . rising up to maybe 95 in traffic - that's what mine does anyway.

I think i'll be ordering the full bonnet insulation for mine, and see if that makes any difference - seems to be the key here . . . wonder why it was ommited on some models - other than cost ?

S.

Both my c180 and c200 have steamed with no ill effects. Since I have fitted the full length insulation I havent noticed it, so maybe thats all thats needed to fix steaming. However, I dont think steaming causes any probs and my two w202 have also been dark colours, blue and black.

Grahams bonnet doesnt steam just his tyres and brakes! ;)

I agree with you Sym, most probably the bonnet insulation is the key. Have to wait before ordering though as have just spent on new balljoints :(

Hopefully it can cure the 'steamy' issues. ;)

what I want to know is why some models came with no insulation, some with part and some with full. Both my current w202 and previous had full insulation, although they were both C230k and both sport trim.

Shude said:
what I want to know is why some models came with no insulation, some with part and some with full. Both my current w202 and previous had full insulation, although they were both C230k and both sport trim.

Must be a forced induction thing id the diesels and Kompressor's have it, perhaps in case the blowers go wrong and catch the bits so they dont make a mess of the bonnet. :p

More likely a noise suppressor I should think.

jimmy said:
More likely a noise suppressor I should think.
So howcome a C200 and a C230k sport have the noise suppressor but a C200 elegance doesn't? That's what I can't work out :)

Paul said:
My car only has part insulation aswell, at the back by washer jets/ air grill.

Supports Jimmy's theory - same engine, no blower. You might have thought the E-Class would have been more refined too if anything.

Shude said:
So howcome a C200 and a C230k sport have the noise suppressor but a C200 elegance doesn't? That's what I can't work out :)

umm.... maybe they had run out of them in the parts bin when it was built ? I guess you can take it or leave it !! I will be trying to get hold of one now though !

S.

My C240 Sport W202 has full bonnet insulation .. maybe to do with power output ?

sym said:
umm.... maybe they had run out of them in the parts bin when it was built ? I guess you can take it or leave it !! I will be trying to get hold of one now though !

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom