steamy windows but just can't find any damp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adrian5405

Car
2010 C180 Komp Sport (1.6) W204.
I've just about ran out of ideas so looking for help folks.
Whenever the car has been used and got warm inside the windows steam up once parked again.
Tonight for example the wife came home from work, parked up for about 2 hours, when we went back out all the windows were steamed up.
I've checked all the carpets which are dry, I've had all the boot out, spare well etc and it's all dry. Without ripping the seats out I just can't find any damp.

The first window to usually steam up is the back window, normally from the bottom, this suggests damp maybe coming from boot behind rear headrest area but as said boot is dry.
Some days the back window is almost running with moisture.

In the mornings it's normally clear after being parked all night.

Is there something obvious that I'm missing here?

Any help much appreciated.

Is it what Tina Turner described??:D:D

Get a 2L ice cream tub, clean & dry, drill a bunch of holes in the lid. Put about an inch and a half (40mm) of washing powder in it and leave on floor.
It's a cheap dehumidifier, wash powder will attract the moisture.
Ditch the powder once its caked.
Refill n go.

Could be the drier cannister on your a/c is full of water?
That would need de-gas, change cannister, and re-gas.
There is usually a little sight glass on them.

Could be the drier cannister on your a/c is full of water?
That would need de-gas, change cannister, and re-gas.
There is usually a little sight glass on them.

Ah ok, roughly were is the cannister located? I guess i could run it for a few day with the a/c off to see if there any improvement.

I bought a bag of crystal thingys from Halfords but that was a waste of money.

Canisters are usually near the radiator, mounted on wing, silver, about the size of a can of coke/red bull two pipes, and a little round window on top, a bit like the ones on a battery.

Like these:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES-...850512?hash=item360dbeedd0:g:DqYAAOSwBahUzQnX

Also check your cabin filter, they can get full of wet leaves and just blow the moisture into the cabin, not sure of placement on yours, near heater motor, or sometimes behind glove box on some cars

Last edited:
Wet shoes can condense on the interior glass surfaces if your cabin/pollen filter hasn't been changed in a while.

Probably more likely to be cabin filter :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom