Steamy Windows solution

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks for all the replies all...

I have a 1995 SL320 - it has Aircon/Climate... but i think i make the mistake uumode mentioned - which is leaving the recirc on.

Problem seems to occur most when i hop in and out of the car. So it must be my wet clothes that build up the problem. I remember seeing these tv ads where they would use a solution for underwater divers and people who wear glasses - the solution would help stop the glass misting or help the mist disappear quickly. I presumed it was something simple and clever. However, reading all your posts, perhaps this isn't the case.

Will keep play with the aircon :)

If I want a quick clear I use the dehumidifier button and put the fan on full. It's handy when doing short trips and jumping in and out of the car a lot.

I leave the aircon on all the time, there is no real appreciable fuel saving when it's off. Anyway, I bought a Merc' for the comfort so I don't spoil the ship for a haypeth of tar, if you know what I mean. :rolleyes:

Fais,

Being an ex biker, steaming visors this time of year was always a problem, the solution for me was to use an anti fogging spray. Problem is, visors are normally plastic, so don't know if it will work on car glass. The other problem is, if like me, you like bikes, you will spend too much time in the bike shop looking at them rather than just buying the anti fog spray :D

Don't know about the Rain-X anti-fog stuff as I haven't used it, but the Rain-X windscreen stuff is absolutely brilliant. It does mean that most of the time, you don't have to bother with your wipers. Fantastic stuff ...

... the downside is it is a real pain to apply, but definitely worth it.

Best trick I know of comes in the form of a bar of soap! ;)

If in any doubt, try it on your bathroom mirror, or a rear or side window first.

Basically, what you need is a relatively clean bar of plain-ish soap. When it has been left on the side of the sink, the bottom of it will end up soft. Take the bar of soap, and wipe a clean, soft cotton type cloth on the soft soap.

Polish this into your glass/mirror or whatever, and leave an even coverage (bit like waxing a car etc). Let it dry slightly, and take another clean, soft cloth and polish the soap off.

Always seemed to work a treat for me!

Let us know how you find this!

HTH,

Cheers,

Will

Yes this should work.

For many years I have wiped the windshield with a dilute solution of water and washing up liquid. Let it dry in and it has the same effect as you describe using soap.

Shampoo works wonders too.

I don't keep the air-con on and have no problem keeping the windscreen clear. If there is airflow and the air is warmed then the screen will clear.

It's always worth checking the cabin filters are clear as a blocked or damp one will cause havock.

The last time i went paint balling one of the marshals had a watered down bottle of fairy liquid on hand incase your visor misted up. He would smear a little on the inside and buff it dry. It worked a treat. It made it all the more enjoyable actualy being able to see the the pain you where inflicting on others :D

Stu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom