Steamy Windows solution

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fais

Hey all

Winter here... and steamy windows here. Anyone know of a good solution to stop windows misting up? I remember seeing one of these window sprays which would help reduce windows misting up....

Anyone able to recommend something?

Thanks

Fais

Fais said:
Hey all

Winter here... and steamy windows here. Anyone know of a good solution to stop windows misting up? I remember seeing one of these window sprays which would help reduce windows misting up....

Thanks

Fais

Keep your fan on ;) and air con . My windows don't steam up.....

The one everyone used to recommend was RainX, there is a special anti-misting version for just what you describe. I tried some a while ago and I wasn't very impressed with it.

fuzzer said:
Keep your fan on ;) and air con . My windows don't steam up.....
Assuming you have aircon and that its in working order ;)

Hot air seems to demist quicker than cold.

I have found that not breathing tends to help too ;)

Shude said:
The one everyone used to recommend was RainX, there is a special anti-misting version for just what you describe. I tried some a while ago and I wasn't very impressed with it.

Tried it a couple of yesrs ago on another car, not worth the money if you ask me, I think it actually made things WORSE

smartbrabus said:
Assuming you have aircon and that its in working order ;)

Hot air seems to demist quicker than cold.

I have found that not breathing tends to help too ;)

I was meaning the fact that the air con dries the air and thus no steam :)

Fais said:

Thanks

Fais

Hi Fias
Please do not think this is a cheeky or sarcastic question. Could you describe the conditions when your windows mist up please?

Then, what model\type Mercedes-Benz do you own?

Has it got air conditioning?

When you have answered these questions hopefully a member with a similar vehicle will be able to tell you his settings etc.

Rain-X has been recommended by a number of members, but sadly you will also find an equal number that loath it??? I have never used it so do not have an opinion on that particular product. I do not however like the idea of spraying any 'protective' solution onto a windscreen. It 'might' have adverse effects during 'bad' driving conditions.

I hope you manage to solve this problem,
Regards,
John

mamoor_dewan said:
Tried it a couple of yesrs ago on another car, not worth the money if you ask me, I think it actually made things WORSE
Well, it kinda worked on a couple of windows, but the windscreen (which is probably the most important) ended up all blotchy and greasy, I could almost see through an evenly-misted window, but when it was uneven it was impossible!

I used to have an old vauxhall astra and I once wiped the inside of the windows with the rubber blade of a window-scraper I use in winter to de-ice. That stayed de-misted for a long time after that and I never did work out why, but I think it might have been the slight greasiness of the blade or something, whatever it was it didn't allow the droplets of water to settle on the glass, that's the trick in the end.

steam

You need to draw the air from the outside most jap cars this facility is obvious but the merc is dubious .some nice person will i hope post a how to on this :crazy:

Fais said:
Hey all

Thanks

Fais

I assume you don't have aircon, as this will keep the windows clear. Go to a motorbike dealer and buy an aerosol of Bob Heath visor anti-fog spray, and clean the inside of your windows with that.

From previous posts Fais has a 1995 SL320. Not sure if that has climate/aircon.

My climate control always stops the car from steaming up inside.

The steam is caused by dampness inside the car... usually caused by a leak, wet clothes, sweaty bodies or damp outside air being drawn into the car fby the fan..

Nothing you can do to stop that unless you have a leak. What you can do which helps however is save all those little bags of silica gel you get when you buy something electronic. Put them all in a breatheable bag(s) and leave them somewhere in the car preferably closeish to the troubled windows - the more the merrier. You'd be surprised by their effectiveness.

Now and again (say once a fortnight) bring them all inside and stick them on the radiator to dry out fully.

Sp!ke said:
The steam is caused by dampness inside the car... usually caused by a leak, wet clothes, sweaty bodies or damp outside air being drawn into the car fby the fan..

Now and again (say once a fortnight) bring them all inside and stick them on the radiator to dry out fully.

:D :D Agree with some of this, but have no experience of some other points ;) ;) sweaty bodies in cars????

Oh, I suppose you mean after playing football 'etc' ;) and getting straight back into the car??

Bye for now,
John :)

watsone91 said:
Using air con to clear windows expensive when fresh air is free

But fresh air doesn't work. That's why this thread exists. :confused:

My own view is that I'd rather pay the extra fuel bill because the amount involved is so tiny as to be immeasurable. Maybe 1 or 2 mpg, but that's a guess.

The aircon provides a number of benefits, one of which is being able to see where I am going. This actually saves me money in crashes and driving bans avoided. :rolleyes: There are also some quality of life issues, but they are subjective.

watsone91 said:
Using air con to clear windows expensive when fresh air is free

not running it could cost you more in the long run if it siezes up.

I dunno about the rest of you guys , but all our cars have had a/c on all the time..

does it actually affect the mpg that much ? Considering im getting 42+mpg with the ac on with my C180 Kompressor :crazy:

I've driven with the aircon on and off and I haven't noticed any difference in mpg or performance. So now I just leave it on auto and never have steamed up windows!

Someone I used to work with said I'd be using more petrol by having the aircon on all the time. I did explain that the 230 kompressor engine uses quite a bit of fuel by itself, without requiring any help from the aircon to burn it up, and also that as a percentage it's something like 2% at most on a decent engine. On a 1 litre car you'd be looking at probably 15%! A friend of mine had a low powered car with aircon as a courtesy car and the engine nearly stalled when you turned the air on, revs had to fly up the gauge just to idle!

Its that time of year I'm afraid. Moisture droplets have an affinity for microscopic particles (i.e. dust and other nasties, especially salts) on anything but more so the inner windscreen, First things, clean the windscreen scrupulousley :confused: , and then keep it that way with one of those chammie covered spongie things (must be chammie). Second, use your air-con all the time, more so from now till March. Thirdly, dont direct the air onto the screen until a good few, say 30, seconds have ellapsed.

As everyone else says, leave the air-con on.
BUT don't leave it on re-circ as that WILL fog up your windows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom