Steamy windows

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ratz

Car
17 E350d in Senorite Grey
Forgive me if this is the wrong area to post in, it's a question about ventilation.

I have a 2002 E270 CDI which in the lightest of rainfall steams up inside. Obviously I can switch on the AC and clear within a couple of mins, but I don't like to just run AC all the time for reasons of economy and also the dryness which gives me sore throats etc.

There are no water leaks into the interior(doesn't steam up when left parked) and in dry weather the steaming up just doesn't happen. But drizzle for a few minutes and hey presto it looks like something illicit is going on in my car - for which I am too old before anyone asks :eek: .

Is there a drain or similar in the air intake which could be harbouring water?

Thanks for the response.

I haven't changed or cleaned filters (where are they?) But the car has just had a major service (an 'F'), so don't know whether such things are checked.

I'll check the intake drains at lunchtime :D .

I'd go for blocked filters as well assuming you are running the fan constatntly and haven't got the ventillation system set to recirculation.

I don't know about the E-class, but on my S-class the standard behaviour is to have the AC on at all times. Keeping the AC running also ensures that its components are properly lubricated etc.

Never had any problems with too dry air in my cars, in fact unless you turn recirculation on, the system always mixes a bit of outside air into the mix.

My car has done this from new.. I have changed all filters but it makes no difference. I switch on A/C for a few mins at a time.

I know many people run their AC all the time to aid reliability amongst other things. But I work in an office with AC and lots of computers so I like to breathe regular polluted air most of the time in my car.

Best compromise I have managed so far as previously mentioned is to switch on & off periodically - but I find it more than a little worrying to hear that this may be standard behaviour. I have had many cars over the years building to this pinnacle of automotive quality :rolleyes:, and none have suffered this way. Having said that I do remember my mum having a Singer Chamois which used to ice up on the inside!

I'll be checking filters & drains when it finally stops raining and hopefully reveal the cause.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom