Steamy Windows

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
With my serious hat on..... If the condensation is excessive then this would definitely be my first suspicion.

John

I had that problem when the drainage pipe near windscreen was blocked. Passenger footwell was soaked and windows were always steamed up.
Incidently had my indie check the car today and the water was not draining out because of blocked pipe. This is despite MB fitting another drain earlier this year, that was blocked too!

Serious response for a second. First turn heater control to demist. Make sure aircon is on as it dehumidifies the air. Turn fan up to 4 or so. If I do that mine clears in under a minute and all the Mercs I have owned also cleared as quickly as that.

k, this was not a normal mist that would be found on the screen as per usual, thses were actually droplet of water that some had run down the inside of the screen due to there being so much of it.

Had i left the demister/AC etc on i would have ran out of diesel before it was cleared. I hate wiping the inside of the screen because it just makes it streaky and then when the sun hits it you cant see a thing.

In reply to.."window being semi permeable" i dont think you ment to say that because there aint nothing gonna partially pass through a glass window without involving a rock or a hammer.

It just seemed "unusual" for it to have so much water on the inner surface of the screen. Thought i might have been doing something wrong, although i dont like the idea of putting down the windows untill i get the inside temp equal with the outside, and therefor gettin ma b**ls froze before i go into the house.

Thanks for all the comments both intelectual and comedy, they are equally beneficial and reinforce the reason i like this forum so much.

k, this was not a normal mist that would be found on the screen as per usual, thses were actually droplet of water that some had run down the inside of the screen due to there being so much of it.
If there's that much condensation then I'd think you must have water getting into the car somewhere.

Do remove the top grill in front of screen and clean out the drains for the heater air intake box, this is the most common reason for water in the car

My problem of misting windows is similar to #01 and although the physics explanation is fine, but, this never happened on my Vectra (with A/C, option!!!) in the 6 years i owned it, so how can the laws physics (Scotty) differ between differnt cars?

If there's that much condensation then I'd think you must have water getting into the car somewhere.

I agree.

Did it rain your way last night?
Do you have a sunroof? - Check drainage pipes.
Was a door/window left slightly open? - check condition of door seals, check for damp carpets.

Failing that it might be a leak from the heater matrix.

Misting Windows

I agree.

Did it rain your way last night?
Do you have a sunroof? - Check drainage pipes.
Was a door/window left slightly open? - check condition of door seals, check for damp carpets.

Failing that it might be a leak from the heater matrix.

Thanks Jeremy,
No rain, it was -4 DEG this morning, it took a good 10 mins to de-mist, misting was very dense, not your usuall thin stuff (MB!) before i could drive off. A/C was off on way home night before, to minimise moisture on condenser.

Yes, but haven't checked drain pipes - Good idea.

No windows or doors left open, door seals appear fine.
Carpets are dry, no smell of anti- freeze and water level not going down, so presume, matrix is ok.

I'll keep on scratching my head!

Thanks Jeremy,
No rain, it was -4 DEG this morning, it took a good 10 mins to de-mist, misting was very dense, not your usuall thin stuff (MB!) before i could drive off. A/C was off on way home night before, to minimise moisture on condenser.

Yes, but haven't checked drain pipes - Good idea.

No windows or doors left open, door seals appear fine.
Carpets are dry, no smell of anti- freeze and water level not going down, so presume, matrix is ok.

I'll keep on scratching my head!
Do you have a sun roof?

The drain pipe might be split or blocked.

Have you thoroughly checked the windscreen sill?

Water can creep in via a poor seal and then soak into the car's insulation, thereby creating the condensation.

If this water can be scraped, or squueged off then I'm positive you have a small leak somewhere. This might be a perished seal, or a small hole, but the condensation seems to much for natural causes.

How often is this condensation appearing? Is it only after rain?

On my son's Golf I lifted up the rubber seal around the windscreen and found a small gap where it screen had not been correctly fitted. Water was getting into the car and then soaking into the in sulation on the A-pillar, which then at night caused a thick layer of condensation to form. :eek:

Good luck and remember....

That water is coming from somewhere.

Do you have a sun roof?

The drain pipe might be split or blocked.

Have you thoroughly checked the windscreen sill?

Water can creep in via a poor seal and then soak into the car's insulation, thereby creating the condensation.

If this water can be scraped, or squueged off then I'm positive you have a small leak somewhere. This might be a perished seal, or a small hole, but the condensation seems to much for natural causes.

How often is this condensation appearing? Is it only after rain?

Hi Glojo,

On my son's Golf I lifted up the rubber seal around the windscreen and found a small gap where it screen had not been correctly fitted. Water was getting into the car and then soaking into the in sulation on the A-pillar, which then at night caused a thick layer of condensation to form. :eek:

Good luck and remember....

That water is coming from somewhere.

Hi Glojo,

I will check sun roof drain pipe and all other areas you suggested.
I wouldn't say the water can be squeegied? off, but the mist is very dense.
Condensation seems to appear more when windscreen is frozen (OAT very cold) not just when it has rained.

Thanks for suggestions

Try starting you car with the A/C on for a couple of mins.
Works in mine;)

If AC is running when the car is parked, water can build up in the heater and cause fog on the windows.

Hi Glojo,

I will check sun roof drain pipe and all other areas you suggested.
I wouldn't say the water can be squeegied? off, but the mist is very dense.
Condensation seems to appear more when windscreen is frozen (OAT very cold) not just when it has rained.

Thanks for suggestions

It will , remember that hot air can hold more water (by weight) than cold air - a combination of cold air laden with moisture and a windscreen temperature below the dew point of the air and bingo - condensation .

Can I also suggest that you switch off recirculation - you can have a situation where people with wet coats etc get in the car , you have the heater on maximum and create a lovely steamy fug that condenses in the bowels of the car when cold , and the process gets repeated on every start up - try introducing some fresh air into the cabin.

Mistin Windows

Fred, thanks for input. I never have recirc on first thing, but if i do need to on my journey, i notice the windows start to mist up even with A/C on Auto. As i said earlier in the thread, this problem never seemed to be this bad on many of my earlier cars and i owned them for quite a few years.

Misting windows

Yes A/C operates good (had new compressor fitted 2 months ago - ouch), so i'm looking for a leak!

Thanks to all

I have exactly the same problem on my C270... I have checked everywhere for a water leak and its all bone dry.. even had the back seats out, checked spare tyre storage... no damp. The only thing i haven't checked are behind the door cards.. i guess there is a chance water is getting in via a window seal and there is a build up of water in the doors.. saving that for a warmer day! Did you manage to solve your problem?

Just a thought have you checked the pollen filter very common problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom