Steel Exhaust Trims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heanster

Car
B200 CDi SE
Probably an old subject but my exhaust trims have never been cared for and are black with burnt on soot. It would be nice to restore the polished steel look - any tips on rejuvenating much appreciated...;)

You could send them off to be acid dipped and chromed or...

You could do it the hard way and work your way through various grades of sandpaper ending in 1200 grit before polishing to a fine finish with a polishing mop.

They should be stainless so will be fine under the crap, a few minutes and a good sweat with Autosol chrome cleaner and they'll be good as new.

Sandpaper...LOL

They should be stainless so will be fine under the crap, a few minutes and a good sweat with Autosol chrome cleaner and they'll be good as new.

Sandpaper...LOL

Trust me, you'll need a lot more than autosol to bring them back to life if they are looking sorry for themselves.

I had to start with am 80grit flap disk on mine.

Mine weren't as bad as the OP's sound, but I used a combination of Gunk, 3M Heavy Duty Scouring Pads, Stainless Steel Scouring Pads and Brasso to finish off with.

theres a guy in oldbury who polishes very cheap, give them to him. I had four bbs wheels done for £70.

I used Mr Muscle oven cleaner on mine this week (but they are chromed, granted). 1 application without scouring removed a good deal of deposit. Will reapply and then scour with a green kitchen pad, hopefully that will remove the rest.

Not sure about s/s, but may be worth a try as a cheap first go.

get some "0000" grade wire wool (any half decent hardware shop) - that with some water & washing up liquid (or wheel cleaner) will soon get rid. It's fine enough to use on fine furniture, so it isn't going to scratch

Hi there,

It can be a difficult one when it comes to exhaust tips. Depending on how long they have been left for depends on the course of action.

-Sometimes the exhausts can be brought back to life just purelly from a good quality metal polish and wire wool. I find using wirewool and iron x to scrub them in the washing process and then polishing them with a polish such as optimum, autosol etc does the trick. At the moment I find mothers metal polishes are at the top of there game and can also be purchased from Elite Car Care (no pun intended:)

-Other times they have been left most of there life not being cleaned, which can burn & embed into the rear tips. Below Is a porsche 911 turbo I completed which had this problem. Now it would of beeing easier to have them dipped and re polished. But this the customer did not want the hastle of. So it was a case of some serious hard graft.

This was the exhausts when the car came to me to have a full correction detail:

858782_292028854258913_22178857_o.jpg

While washing the car they were treated to bilberry wheel cleaner and iron x, while being scrubbed with wire wool. Once I had completed correction and crystal lacquering the car and moved onto getting these exhaust tips to as good as i possibly could. I used a combo of 2000,3000 & then polished them back up on the dremmel tool. Along with lots and lots of polishing wheels with Mothers metal polish. I then selaed and protected the tips in Gtechniq C5 to make them much easier to clean in the future. Now I knew I would not get them back to brand new but they were visably better as shown below. But I will tell you now, this took me 3 hours to do both tips together none stop.

882266_293743230754142_157663674_o.jpg

So in some cases magic potions can not fix this damage. Just hard graft and a little bit of knowledge.

Hope that helps,

Kind Regards

Michael

I wish I had before and after pics of mine.

Started out as a black and rusty blob... now showroom shiney again.

Quick clean with autosol and wirewool

Attachments

• image-1728116152.jpg
    image-1728116152.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 29

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom