Steer by wire being fitted by Nissan soon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
"If we are freed from that, we would be able to place the steering wheel wherever we like," said Masaharu Satou, a Nissan engineer.

"Such as in the back seat, or it would be possible to steer the car with a joystick."

:eek: sounds sensible. good view from back there.

Ha Nissan have had rear wheel steering by wire for decades, hope they don't have the same issues that had with that system (HICAS). :eek:

Maybe it's an urban myth but I thought BMW fitted a steer by wire system to the 7 series back in 2000 or so.

Maybe it's an urban myth but I thought BMW fitted a steer by wire system to the 7 series back in 2000 or so.

no it was drive by wire throttle, and gearing. i had one

stolen from t' internet:

When BMW began using the "Drive-by-wire" throttle system in 2001, a lot of people cringed. The Drive-by-wire system uses electronics to replace the mechanical cable throttle of the past. This means the electronics between the accelerator pedal and motorized throttle must interpret what your right foot does, and ultimately decides how the engine will respond.

sounds lethal and cumbersome depending on when the electrical system fails.

You could have a very fast and heavy supermarket trolley perfect for the student market or something that veers into oncoming traffic if the software crashes.

a winner

I guess the positive aspect is that there will be no need for left or right hand versions to be made.

You just slide the steering wheel to whichever side you want to sit, depending which county you are in.

Of course the brake pedal will need to move also.

Will regulators allow brake by wire ?

Will regulators allow brake by wire ?

Already been done by MB with SBC.

At the end of the day it all comes down to cost and profit. MB tried it for 4 or 5 years and decided that the numbers didn't work for them.

Dryce said:
Already been done by MB with SBC.

At the end of the day it all comes down to cost and profit. MB tried it for 4 or 5 years and decided that the numbers didn't work for them.

There was a mechanical back up. Ie in assisted brakes. Steer by wire with no mechanical link is a very different concept.

Early FLY BY WIRE --- EXPERIENCES A FEW MINOR TEETHING PROBLEMS.:rolleyes:
[YOUTUBE]a5NXpar4Ouw[/YOUTUBE]

And of course it could presage the fully automatic driverless input car?;)
[YOUTUBE]74HdbWi28-g[/YOUTUBE]

They've been using in planes for years...anyone here not flying?

There were a few Airbus crashes where FBW was suspected- but I think the main factor was the complexity of the new software systems? Though statistically probably no worse than key mechanical failures.

Many critical systems are computer controled these days. I assume most MBs have electronic throttle links nowadays, linked to ECU, trans, braking system and all kinds of stuff that if it malfunctioned could in theory launch you helplessly in to the vehicle in front, but is it any more likely than a mechanical throttle cable jamming etc.

The "feel" of FBW steering is another matter, but no reason why sensors couldn't relay the necessary force data for some gubbins on a remote wheel to simulate a corresponding feel.

The only conceivable "advantage " I can see is if it's envisaged the cars are eventually going to be completely controlled by computer for some journeys. The sort of "road train" scenario envisaged by Volvo where cars might join rail controlled lanes on motorways with steering braking distance control etc all taken over by some central traffic control-- while on the motorway-- with the driver only regaining control on leaving the system. Considering how they can't even keep the road surfaces in a decent state I can't see that happening in the near future. Just one more layer of complication to go wrong IMHO

Early FLY BY WIRE --- EXPERIENCES A FEW MINOR TEETHING PROBLEMS.:rolleyes:

Not a FBW problem. Pilot flew too low towards an obstruction at engine lowe power setting without enough time to spin up the engines to clear the obstruction.

The FBW has been credited with keeping the plane more stable (and therefore more intact) while the collision took place. (Not sure if that requires a :rolleyes: or not).

There were a few Airbus crashes where FBW was suspected-

In *every* Airbus incident prior to Boeing introducing the 777 fingers were pointed at the FBW.

Since the introduction of the 777 the fingers often point at the differences between the feedback provided by the Boeing 'style' of FBW and the Airbus FBW.

Moreover there were plenty conspiracy theorists who would claim that after early incidents that Airbus spirited away the flight recorders and 'sanitised' them before the official investigators got hold of the data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom