Steering adjustment C220 cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kerabo

Car
2006 C220 Estate
2006 C class 220cdi

I have just fitted a pair of TRE ends and a lower front suspension joint. I know the tracking will need setting but on the steering arm I notice the hole is slightly elongated. Would you agree the castor camber will need checking? I cant see any other reason to elongate the hole?
Just thinking if that's the case I need to find a place that knows what they are doing. All can centralise the steering and tracking but not so sure about the other.

Thanks Ken

The steering arm should have a fixed pick-up point. The lower wishbone ( arm ) and the control arm would have elongated holes but the OEM bolt will hold them mid-point so nothing would change unless an adjuster bolt is fitted.

Hi
Thanks for the reply. Sorry but I don't quiet get what your saying.
The front of the two lower and has a slotted hole so if the bolt is 12mm the hole is about 18 to 20mm long.
That would let the arm fioat back and forward until the bolt is tightend.
Am I wrong?

Thanks Ken

There should be a guide for the bolt that holds the arms central. Either side of the bushing hole if you look down it you will see two rails. These are the rails that fall into the adjuster bolt allowing movement for adjustment.

Thanks for that.
I just went to the tip and was about to throw the old one away when I noticed the pips inside. I had thought they were just bits of rubber but now see its metal tags that will centralise the bush. I guess that holds it in the correct place but the outside can twist to settle the bush.
Thanks again it makes sense now.
Ken

They are hard to spot, even harder to adjust.. The center position is the "build" position and then you have the adjustment positions. In truth it's a bit of a pants idea but at least it offers a bit of correction when needed.

They are hard to spot, even harder to adjust.. The center position is the "build" position and then you have the adjustment positions. In truth it's a bit of a pants idea but at least it offers a bit of correction when needed.
How would you adjust them if the bush is fixed on the bolt?
Is this with offset bolts I read about.?
Hoping to just get it tracked up as I fitted TRE

Thanks Ken

The bolts have groves that the rails go into. So it depends on which way needs adjustment and which way round the bolt faces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom