Steering angle sensor fault not cleared by replacing sensor

Discussion in 'Parts, Maintenance & Servicing' started by Marc1967, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Marc1967

Marc1967 New Member

Car:
    E220 CDI
    Hi,

I hope that you can assist with an issue I am having with my E220 (W211, 2006) in respect to the steering angle sensor. I had a fault come up stating EPS and run flat not working and additionally the brake hold feature and cruise control do not work. A local garage used a diagnostic machine and advised that the steering angle sensor was at fault. I have had this replaced but the fault does not go away when the codes are reset. In fact when the codes are reset they re-appear without the car being driven.

Am I missing a step in respect to clearing the codes after the part was fitted or is it possible that another part is at fault?

The diagnostics were done on a Snap On device and the faults displayed are listed as follows -

9334 Component N49 (Steering Angle Sensor) is defective

9352 Steering angle sensor speed too high

in addition to this, and is case is sheds any light on the issue, it also comes up with three other faults as follows -

90A2 Communication Error in Serial Communication Interface to Rear Lamps and Interior Motion Sensor: No Response from Component E15/3b2 (Interior Protection Sensor)

90E1 CAN Communication With Control Unit IC is Sporadically Disturbed

9371 CAN Communication Of Control Unit Passenger SAM is in Single Wire Mode. (CAN Bus Low)

Thanks in advance for any assistance that you may be able to provide.

Kind regards

Marc

2. AMGeed

AMGeed MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2004 W211 E55K ///AMG
    Marc, I'm sure your current garage are fine with other brands, but I would take the car to an excellent indy you have in Caversham and have the fault codes read with MB diagnostic equipment (Star diagnostics). Ian at Star will get the bottom of your problem.

Star Motor Services

3. andy27168

andy27168 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1997 C230K, 1999 C43/55 AMG
    Hi,
    You say the codes have not cleared, has the car actually been driven since the replacement?

4. OP
    OP
    Marc1967

Marc1967 New Member

Car:
    E220 CDI
    The codes were cleared and the engine started, the codes re-appeared. Cleared again and then moved the car, the codes again re-appeared.

5. OneForTheRoad

OneForTheRoad Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Fully charge the main battery and turn the steering lock to lock a few times.

6. OP
    OP
    Marc1967

Marc1967 New Member

Car:
    E220 CDI
    Thanks for the advice. I went to Star Motor Services and they have cured the problems that I had. I took it in to them yesterday morning and they managed to get the part in and finish it the same day. Excellent, friendly service and at a reasonable price. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

AMGeed likes this.