Steering box adjustment R129 320 m104

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardF

Car
Sl 320
Anyone done this? Sounds straightforward but not had a look yet for access.

Did it make much difference?

The old MB steering boxes had an Allen screw and lock nut which could be used to adjust the amount of slack felt at the steering wheel. There has to be some slack and the adjustment must be done at the straight ahead position as if you make the adjustment with some lock on it can then bind when the wheel is returned to straight ahead. The MOT permits a greater amount of slack on a car with a steering box vs a rack and pinion.

It's many years since I adjusted one but it did make an improvement.

Thanks yes, I read the manual. 1/4 turn anticlockwise increments.

Can it be done from the top?

parts- check all the steering linkage ball joints for play first before messing with the box
getImage.php

Last edited:
Well the good news is the heat shield doesn't have to come off. The bad news is the adjuster is hard up against a chassis section, right where the 3 bosses are to bolt the thing on.

A very narrow crows foot might do it? Anyone with any suggestions? I'd rather avoid having to take the box off.

It's at the end of the pitman arm, so it'll have to wait until I'm in the mood for crawling underneath.

Finally got around to this job (lockdown gardening finished)
Took 10 mins, all done from the bottom, good clearance.

After a short drive I it does feel a little better (but I would say that wouldn't I) 😁 ill probably tackle the idler too.

Its a tough one this. We tend to leave them alone unless there is lots of play in the box. Lots of play is unusual on a 129 though. If there is steering play its usually the idler or very worn lower ball joints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom