Steering column play

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wagon

Car
23 Octavia IV 98 SL500 /86 911/sold
Wotcha ladies ..right ,the C43 has really bad play in the steering column , on the table is.. , get bearings and bushes , strip and rebuild.. Or spend £320 ish and have a new MB column , tame MB mech to fit..any other pointers.. Ta.Paul

Wotcha ladies ..right ,the C43 has really bad play in the steering column , on the table is.. , get bearings and bushes , strip and rebuild.. Or spend £320 ish and have a new MB column , tame MB mech to fit..any other pointers.. Ta.Paul

Is it not play in the box?

If it's side to side it might be a bracket between the column and the bulkhead just below the the dash. I don't know if the C class has one but the R129 SL has and the bold being loose on mine was the cause of lateral play.

It's vertical and horizontal, you can waggle the wheel up/down etc ,really bugs , especially on rough roads ..It's not rotational slop hence me thinking column bearings , have had a look re fixings , seems fine at the top end..

Nothing doing?

adjustable steering column(reach) mechanism/lock?

you say especially on rough roads.

is it not just the steering damper ?

or the steering idler arm bushes - very easy fix.

you say especially on rough roads.

is it not just the steering damper ?

or the steering idler arm bushes - very easy fix.
They've been done .. If the wheel is pushed all the way in the movement is less , at a standstill you can waggle the wheel up and down , bumpy roads make it feel like anti rol bar bushes are gone but all is fine under the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom