Steering column shake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tattmaylor

Car
A207 E220d
So I've had my SL320 for around 10 months now and enjoying every part of owning one. However, as I've found there is always *something* that will need attention, and apart from the rusty wing (which I'm happy to report I have now found a second hand part at a reasonable price), my next area to look at is the annoying steering shake/wobble.

I've replaced the damper as most people seem to suggest this would need replacing at some point anyway, but the problem seems to be on any rough surface or any minor (or major) pot hole, the steering wheel violently shakes from side to side. I think this may extend the whole length of the column, but its hard to gauge.

I know a 20 year old heavy car would likely have some form of scuttle shake but this is beyond that, and the side to side 'loose' movement leads me to believe it isn't your usual scuttle shake. I have found an old thread which describes a brace for the steering column, which may have either worked loose at one or both ends, or been removed at some point for any electrical work and not tightened back up properly. This is apparently located under the carpeted section beneath the steering wheel, but to be honest, I have no idea what I'm looking for or which parts to remove. I didn't want to attempt any further without some idea of what to look for.

Any advice on what to look out for, and pictures to help would be brilliant. I do have the MOT coming up in a few weeks, and although I could ask the mechanics to take a look, they'll charge me £100 before they've even started.

Alternatively if anyone has any suggestions on what else may be causing the shake?

Thanks!

Presumably this is a R129 ?

The only reason I can think of to loosen things under there might be to replace the ignition switch , or perhaps if there was an attempted theft and the steering lock was forced .

Isn’t £100 worth it for peace of mind on a safety critical component?

If your mot is due. The cars suspension would be fully checked to make sure there is no excessive play in steering or suspension components. The steering column would also be checked for any free play. As you have an r129 sl I believe they are using a steering box which then goes onto steering arms and linkages so again the linkages should all be checked on the mot if that throws no play or signs of movement have you made sure the wheels are balanced correctly ? Nice simple and low cost option to rule out. Has the steering box been checked for excessive play ?

Regards

To the OP, do you mean you can wobble / shake the steering wheel whilst stationary...or does it “vibrate” when in the move, and if so does that vibration vary with speed....

Thanks for the messages everyone. I decided to take a chance and have the MOT carried out, but asked them to look into the steering shake beforehand.
Turns out to be a worn bearing on the steering column, but will need further investigation, so for now is just an advisory on the MOT. I’ll have it looked into at some point soon. May even be an option to have the whole steering column replaced if it’s cost effective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom