Steering Damper

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamC230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A3 & S4 quattro
For your reference....

When you start to get patterns like this on your drive way you know you have a leak!

driveleak.jpg

Conclusion is a leaking steering damper - shown here (without leak).

Part is about £32 + VAT ish, so not expensive but apparently common to fail.

steering_leak.jpg

Yup , mine failed on my 202 . Was replaced under warranty in order for the car to pass the MOT :)

Hmm.

Not really on for 63K easy miles is it. But at that price I'll not complain.

Mine got changed at 34,000 , so you did not bad:mad:

Confirmed my damper was at fault.

With it removed, there was very little resistance left when compressing it and when near full compression a neat fine jet of oil shoots out of a hole!

sdamperold.jpg

The new part (sorry for blurry pic)

sdampernew.jpg

No. I think I caught it before it got too bad.

I was told to change that every 60K miles. I have replaced mine in all three of my 190Es and my old C280. Replacing them got rid of the slight steering wheel shake.

I take it the're easy to fit ? Just a bolt either end is it ?
Obviously better on a ramp like Jimmy's :p

Originally posted by Aletank
I take it the're easy to fit ? Just a bolt either end is it ?
Obviously better on a ramp like Jimmy's :p

Indeed - spot on. As simple as that - need torque wrench to put bolts back in to correct tightness.

Hi Guys.

I don't know whether to feel good or bad, as I work for the company that makes these for MB.

Company is STABILUS.

Tee-Hee :bannana:

Philirv

I remember replacing mine after buying the car - I couldn't feel any difference whatsoever! But for all I know it might help reduce shaking (if present) at motorway-speeds..

It should be due for replacement again soon if the changing-interval is supposed to be 60K Miles :D

I had mine replaced last week http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3230

And yes a very obvious difference - like a new car.

Admittedly mine had leaked dry! (but can't find any patches on the driveway or at work!).

And 128k on the clock - I don't know if the duff one was the original or a replacement.

K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom