Steering gone creaky

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Erfan

SUPPORTER
Car
W211 E220 CDI Avantgarde '08
Have noticed a slight whine on slow turns and I think I have done a silly thing.... I lifted up the rubber boot at bottom of steering column (in engine bay) and squirted penetrating fluid and a smear of bearing grease). Now whenever I turn the steering wheel I get a rubber creaking noise that was not there before.

Also does the rubber boot slide over then end silver metal disc or rest on top of it.

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

It slides over the bearing.

Don't be surprised to find the rubber boot is split. Easy job.

Thanks - I believe there is a nut that is a few inches below the bottom of the boot -do you undo, slide off old one and replace?

The boot looks intact and I wonder if it has been dislodged at the top end? I had a feel but it was hard to do as it goes into dashboard area.

At the bottom of the dark grey metal shaft that the boot goes over there is a space for the boot lip to go over but just to confirm do I also slide over the silver metal disc that sits further down?

You can get to the upper part of the boot by reaching under the dash area.

To replace, turn the steering so the bolt heat is uppermost on the steering coupling, undo the coupling, remove the heatshield, push the column joint into eh car, pull the gaiter off. To fit new gaiter, reverse the procedure, then push the upper gaiter seat down by hand to make it seal properly

Thankyou - I will have another look in the morning.

Looked under the dash area and the boot looks intact - I repositioned it slightly and the rubbing went.....but then came back after a drive.... I spun round the boot slightly from in the engine bay and the noise is gone again. At one point when getting near to full lock I could hear a loud whine - ps pump? Will keep an eye on it.

Is there any type of recommended spray to use for maintainence/grease of the column?

I've read lubrisol can help but there are differing stances on its effectiveness.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom