Steering knock with even new Tie rod assembly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blitz500sl

Car
92' R129 500SL - 04' E500 Estate - 09' Smart 451 CDI
I have a W203 here which had a very bad outer tie rod end and Lower control arm.

I replaced the lower control arm no problem and replaced the inner and outer tie rod with a Lemforder item.

After everything is installed, when a wriggle the steering wheel I get a clunking coming from the steering. I have double checked everything is tight and the drivers side tie rod which was replaced is showing an equal amount of thread as the near side.

Does anyone have any clue whats going on?

Thanks

Drop links, Anti roll bar bushes?

It feels like its coming from the steering assembly when you brand the tie rod with your hand.

Is that with load on the components or the car on a jack?

Strange or coincidental.. my Vito had similar. I looked at the power steering fluid, that was a light brown colour and like p!ss water. It was decided to change the fluid.. and when I spoke to my indie they said similar and that Sprinters were common for the "Knock". A Change of fluid and the van is better than ever, a more positive feel to it.. it may be worth a look in your case too, I know its not a Vito but.. that's what cured my knock...

Re Reading this, another possibility is that the aftermarket arm may be marginally longer and causing the *knock"...I've hear that one before too...doesn't need to be much to cause this a mm will do...

OK, when fitting did you torque up the bolts etc with or without load? I only ask as I recall it makes a difference but cannot remember which way although with load seems logical!

I torqued up the ball joint nut with load. The tie rod adjusting nut and inner tie rod to the rack was in the the air but I do not see it makes any difference.

Thanks

I torqued up the ball joint nut with load. The tie rod adjusting nut and inner tie rod to the rack was in the the air but I do not see it makes any difference.

Thanks
Me neither

Was not trying to teach you how to do it, just trying to work out possible scenarios......

I had a similar issue on a Saab 95, it turned out to be the drop links, no noticeable play or noise at all when examined.......

Hopefully one of the Forum garage owners will see your post and come up with more positive suggestions!

You can feel it popping when you grab the tie rod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom