Steering lock won't release

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevieb15

Car
98 sl 500, 90 w126 500se, 03 CLK 320 Convertible, 90 W124 CE300
On my CE300, my wife's been using it this week and has complained the ignition has been very stiff.....today the key just won't turn in the ignition and the steering is locked.
Any suggestions how to release it?

You will have to try, by wiggling … you may not succeed… to get the key to turn to position 1, position 1 is the accessory position and where the ignition barrel needs to be at in order to remove and replace the lock barrel.

Replacing the lock barrel is the easiest and cheapest solution to the fault…. if you can get the key to turn to position1.
There is no guarantee that replacing the barrel will solve the fault, it could be something else.

If you do get the key to turn to position 1, don’t turn it back to zero again as you should consider yourself lucky, the lock barrel should be removed immediately, you may not get a second chance.

See a recent and similar problem here… http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/interior/132396-w124-ignition-barrel-replacement-help-hard-way.html

Dec

try using your spare key. If you dont have one, providing it is not a flip out key, buy a new one. Cost £11 from Merc. You could also try using a little Vaseline on the original key. It works sometimes. Wiggle the steering wheel when you try this.

Released it!
Left the whole unit marinading for a week in WD40 and took the spare keys down to Sussex with me this weekend. Tried it with the usual key yesterday before the heavens opened again and no luck. This morning I managed to release it with the spare.
Hopefully with a lot of juggling I can get her back to Staffs sometime over the next couple of weeks and have Merx sort the problem.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom