Steering locked and key is stuck in ignition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

babyblueCE

Car
300 CE
Hello all. My 560 SEC went in for new brake pads and discs and the mechanic has managed to lock my steering wheel and the key is stuck an won't turn. My mechanic has advised me that he will need to cut out the ignition barrel in order to release the steering wheel. Before I ok him to do that does anyone know how I can release the steering wheel and the key without having the barrel cut out?

Normally you get some warning if the ignition key is going to seize like that. Its worth spending some time fiddling with the assembly since if you can get it to the correct position you can remove the offending barrel and replace it with a new one. i don't know just how much effort the garage will have put in on this approach before suggesting resorting to surgery which is unfortunately the "final solution" .

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/howto/92194-how-replace-w124-ignition-cylinder-barrel.html

Mine locked solid without warning the other day. Thankfully I have prior experience of this in a 190E so I managed to wiggle it free. But then the key would not turn at all. I managed to free it off by using lots of 3 in 1 oil on the key and down the lock barrel and lots of jiggling while pushing and pulling the key in and out at the same time.

It is now working okay again but I will need to replace it asap. Mine is the pre 8/89 version where only one removal tool is needed to lock and remove the shroud. I have been trying to remove it using the paper clip method but as yet to no avail.

Does anyone have a good guide for removal of the early type W126 ignition barrel?

Superb mate, I found exactly what i needed in that link:thumb:

It turns out I have to unscrew the shroud once the tool has clicked into place then the barrel pulls out. Very different to the 190 and later 126's with the two slots on the barrel.

Many thanks neilrr:cool::cool:

Stu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom