Steering Noise From Steering Wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteTheOldGit

Car
Merc C200 AMG 2014 W205
Developed a really annoying groan like noise from steering wheel area when turning wheel at very low speeds. Seems a common problem on the W205 series early on resulting in column change. Any one had this issue and solved without such costly parts.

Do the threads where you have read this is a common problem not indicate the solution and costs?

What are u going on about. I have asked if anyone as had similar issue and came up with a solution other than a column change as I have no wish to replace. Are these forums not about asking others help and advice on such matters and not sarcastic comments as the above. Thanks for nothing...

greenmanslk's comment is actually quite sensible...

Are you certain this is a steering wheel column issue?

Another common fault is the front strut top mount rubber bush and/or bearing.

If you are certain it's from the steering wheel column, then (a) does you car have hydraulic PAS or electric PAS, and (b) could it be that something is fouling the steering wheel column e.g. collapsed cowling or failed Steering Wheel Angle Sensor etc?

What are u going on about. I have asked if anyone as had similar issue and came up with a solution other than a column change as I have no wish to replace. Are these forums not about asking others help and advice on such matters and not sarcastic comments as the above. Thanks for nothing...

It was actually a serious question to ask if you had found any answer from those who have already experienced and resolved this “common” problem...

As Markjay posted, a little more detail might help.

Age / mileage of car, any recent work, noise at high speed or low speed / at full lock or partial lock...

Well we have got the new year starting well,it can only get better.

Change the steering rack fluid , cheapest and easiest job...you have checked the fluid level first ?

Developed a really annoying groan like noise from steering wheel area when turning wheel at very low speeds. Seems a common problem on the W205 series early on resulting in column change. Any one had this issue and solved without such costly parts.

@Peter

@PeteTheOldGit.Have u found solution to your steering noise. Let me know,I managed to resolve my today.

Hi
No solution as yet , after a lot of research it seems it could be one of a few issues most resulting in expensive column change. How have u resolved

Cheers

Change the steering rack fluid , cheapest and easiest job...you have checked the fluid level first ?
Hi
Its an electric system with no hydraulic assistance at all sadly.

Cheers

@PeteTheOldGit .
It sounded same like mine,I changed fluid everything nothing.I went dealer they couldn’t fine it.I went under the steering inside the car.After the pedals,there is a flat plastic the cover the steering pipe,I dragged it out a bit,no screw on and the steering free,Noise went away completely.Try that the plastic was Robbing the steering pipe that was what cause my steering noise.I will send picture of it soon.hope this will resolve it.Just check under your steering and drag the cover out to free the steering.

@PeteTheOldGit .
It sounded same like mine,I changed fluid everything nothing.I went dealer they couldn’t fine it.I went under the steering inside the car.After the pedals,there is a flat plastic the cover the steering pipe,I dragged it out a bit,no screw on and the steering free,Noise went away completely.Try that the plastic was Robbing the steering pipe that was what cause my steering noise.I will send picture of it soon.hope this will resolve it.Just check under your steering and drag the cover out to free the steering.

Hi
Is yours the W205 model , u mention pipes but there electric so just wondering what model yours was

Cheers

Mine is w204,2012.I meant the steering pole that connect steering from steering wheel down to the car engine,from inside check it after the foot break, there is a plastic cover,It is likely that your foot push the plastic too much,just drag it out abit to give clearance.

View recent photos.png View recent photos.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom