steering not returning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

foru2justnv

Car
Mercedes w211 E320 CDI s212 e220cdi
Hi all

I have over the last few months replaced my balljoints, anti roll bar bushes, anti roll bar links, and now this week the front lower arm bushes ( all 6). the car still drives likes the front end is held in place with sellotape, very clonky and hard, now the new fault that has appeared is the that my steering has gone much lighter after renewing the lower arm bushes, but my steering is not returning or centering, you can leave it to wander and it will do.
Any ideas as im now very depressed, this car has served me well and really enjoy driving it until now and dont want to have to park it up at a breakers.

I went to kwik fit and ats which both refused as they say the car needs to be weighted, i cant understand, the car is so clonky over rough roads and feels like the springs are contacting metal.

Weighted? Have you lowered the car too or something?

You need to have a 4 wheel alignment check done which is not something Kwick fit are capable of.

Where are you based?

Hi
No car is totally standard avantgarde spec, with the lower than classic suspension, near gatwick airport, just took off both wheels to check everything over again and whether springs are seated correctly but cant see anything, its worse than before i changed lower arm bushes.

The geometry just needs setting up, anywhere with a 4 wheel alignment machine can do this.

ok small update, when turning steering from lock to lock, theres a lot of creaking and squeaking noises, and also when i brake to a standstill, its as though the springs are really uncomfortable compressing

Agree with Dieselman.

You should be aware that when you fit all those parts you need to lower the car to its normal resting point BEFORE fully tightening all the bolts up.
Otherwise you are straining the bushes beyond their normal resting point.
Did you mark the cam adjusting washers before undoing them? They need to go back in the same place ideally but in any case you need to have a full geometry check.
Re the kwikfit boys, sounds to me like they just could not be bothered, they get paid regardless so what do they care especially if its a Saturday!?

Agree with Dieselman.

You should be aware that when you fit all those parts you need to lower the car to its normal resting point BEFORE fully tightening all the bolts up.
Otherwise you are straining the bushes beyond their normal resting point.
Did you mark the cam adjusting washers before undoing them? They need to go back in the same place ideally but in any case you need to have a full geometry check.
Re the kwikfit boys, sounds to me like they just could not be bothered, they get paid regardless so what do they care especially if its a Saturday!?

didnt know anything regarding the above, just took arms out got the bushes air chiseled out and then got them put in on a vice which i was surprised to see as it was a big major garage, then got home and tighten it all back, the only thing i thought i had cheated on was the fact i didnt compress the springs, i just lined all up and jacked the arm into place after doing both center bolts up, i have noticed on a drive today that whilst turning into a fast roundabout on dual carriageway, tyres were squealing as though i was driving at 80mph round roundabout, now when i got home i noticed that my finger was not able to get through the inside of the tyre and the arm that attatches the hub to the top arm, im going to open it all up again tomorow

Ok, took everything apart again today, also installed new track rod ends and new balljoints again, as far as the noises are concerned all is well now, but the steering is still not returning, could i have introduced air into the system while turning hub left and right on both sides while fitting balljoint and track rod ends, very concerned as steering is nice and light, i did bleed the system as per another thread on here, by jacking front end up, taking power steering cap off and turning lock to lock 35 times, lost a fair amount of fluid doing so but its still reading full??????? any help would be much appreciated, any ideas as to how much 4 wheel alignment by someone that CAN DO IT should cost.

All the work you have done will have severly affected the geometry, and you will be simply chasing your tail unless you get a complete geometry check which includes, Camber, Castor ( that affects your self centering), tracking and front to rear alignment i.e complete 4 wheel alignment.

Wheels in Motion ( Chesham) have a very good reputation on here and have the appropriate equipment ( Hunter) and skills to sort you out.

If they are too far for you google Align my Car, and find someone local who can sort you out.

Stop looking for other problems, just get it set up properly cos that'll be the fix you are looking for.

As for the costs, depends on the number of adjuster bolts they have to use but budget around £ 200ish

thanks rosemeyer,
just got the full alignment done on a hunter machine today, tech showed me before how out it was and after on the ramp, it needed 2 adjuster bolts, i can definatley see the wheels are straighter,
now the annoying bit, the nsf has a really annoying clonk when turning at standstill as though im pulling steering out of its socket, and still the annoying clonking over rough road,
the clonking im not really bothered about anymore, but the noise when turning steering wheel front under the car, as though the tie rod is having trouble moving is really annoying me, i love the car and have really maintained it but costs are now getting more than the cars worth which is a shame as its a lot of car for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom