Steering on my newly purchased Mercedes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr A

Car
Mercedes C Class
Hello guys,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I simply came across this forum while googling a few issues I had with my car.

I recently bought a Mercedes for the first time it’s the 2013 C220 coupe (Diesel), really lovely car. However I noticed that for some reason it always pulls to the left when I drive which can be annoying.
So I had it taken for tracking on 2 separate occasions, but it came back with the same pull. The mechanic said he set the car to the normal limits and he could not understand.

I then walked to a Mercedes shop/showroom in my area, the staff told me that its normal for all Mercedes to do like that. As it’s a matter of a safety feature so when you are tired or loose concentration then the car will not drift into on coming traffic.

But I was not satisfied with this, so I went to another Mercedes shop close to where I work. I told them about the issue and they said they will take a look at it and do the tracking ( I got charged £109). I was also given a B-Class courtesy vehicle for the day (which DID NOT pull to the left like my own car!!).

When I picked up my car I was given a printout of the tracking that they had done and showed me the adjustments they had to make and told me that it could not get any better than that.

Now here are a few things that I noticed
1. It is slightly better but still pulls (although not as strong as before).
2. The steering feels a bit heavier (I called about this and I was told that it may have to do with them having to reduce the pressure in the tyres)

Incidentally when I got home and was about to park a display came on my dashboard (like a circular thing) and asked me to turn my steering all the way to the left and then all the way to the right. Please does anyone know what this may mean or what the cause may be?

Also regarding the tracking is there anything that can be done? Are all Mercedes like this? Can I take it anywhere further?
And should a steering feel heavier after tracking or when pressure is reduced?

Thanks alot guys!
I really hope there is someone out there that can provide help/advise

So as it has been re-aligned id suggest 2x New tyres on the front as they will have worn to the old alignment causing the issue.

Not sure on the light, sometimes if the battery has been disconnected you have to reset the steering by doing what you said its asked.

Mercs generally do drift left, it shouldn't be a strong pull but a gentle drift. It can be dialled out by someone who knows what he's doing. If you delaer can't sort it take the car down to Wheels-Inmotion, they are acknowledged as the experts in this.

The steering left-right thing it so the car can centre itself. Something to do with ESP, I think. Probably caused by the work on the tracking. Dealer should have done that on completion.

Check your tyre pressures against the info on the fuel filler flap or your handbook.

Lots of threads on here about pulling to the left my 2009 CLK doesn't do it. Have a look for wheels in motion on the web,they seem to know what they are doing.

Generally you want more castor on the left than the right by up to a degree or maybe a little more and if that doesn't solve it you can look at have more -ve camber on the left than the right right - but be very careful putting too much -ve camber on, it will wear the inside edges on the front quite quickly.

BUT, do try swapping the tyres around from left to right sometimes this actually does make a difference sometimes it doesn't.

Yes it is very common, yes it is not forgivable that MB's do this but there will be an MB document that explains what to do for your chassis, I would ask the Dealership to show you that and discuss from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom