Steering Rack at 70000 miles????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NigelBell

First post here so a big hello!

I have a 2001 C220 CDI Classic Auto Estate and the MOT inspection revealed 'excessive play' in the steering rack so I took it along to my dealer and they've diagnosed it needs replacing at a cost of £2070 :mad:

I'm not sure how this has arisen as my wife and I drive the vehicle very carefully and do not take it off-road/racing or anything else unual. ;)

I'd welcome any comments or your experiences of similar problems as I don't think it normal for a steering rack to need replacing so soon into a vehicles lifespan and would ideally like MBUK to pay for some/all of the repair (but it's out of warranty, of course)

Also, we live in the North East so if you know of any independent Merc garages I'd be grateful of any recommendations as I'm sure their labour rates will be significantly less than my main dealers...

Thanks in advance

Nigel

The wear of a steering rack is usully determined by the amount of turning it performs and under what torque loading.

If for example your car is used mainly around town then it performs a lot of turning. Even worse is if it is used for a lot of parking manouvers where the vehicle is either slow moving or stationary. This imposes very high torque figures on the rack.
Remember, just because the steering feels light to turn it doesn't mean it is. The mechanism is being assisted. For the true weight loading try turning the steering with the engine off.

Does you or your wife have a habit of turning the wheel when the car is stationary?

Never, Never turn the wheel when stationary.

My BMW was diagnosed as having a faulty steering rack by a BMW main dealer once. Part was just over £1000, was only available complete and then of course there was fitting. BMW gave it the whole, this is so dangerous we could not even test drive the car flannel.

I took it (drove it of course) to an reputable local independant. They.said they could not warrant recommending I take any actionas the play was as they would expect - although it would worsen over time.

Sure enough a few MOTs later it failed - a £70 a side joint was required

NigelBell said:
First post here so a big hello!

I have a 2001 C220 CDI Classic Auto Estate and the MOT inspection revealed 'excessive play' in the steering rack so I took it along to my dealer and they've diagnosed it needs replacing at a cost of £2070 :mad:

I'm not sure how this has arisen as my wife and I drive the vehicle very carefully and do not take it off-road/racing or anything else unual. ;)

I'd welcome any comments or your experiences of similar problems as I don't think it normal for a steering rack to need replacing so soon into a vehicles lifespan and would ideally like MBUK to pay for some/all of the repair (but it's out of warranty, of course)

Also, we live in the North East so if you know of any independent Merc garages I'd be grateful of any recommendations as I'm sure their labour rates will be significantly less than my main dealers...

Thanks in advance

Nigel

Hi Nigel

you are experiencing the very same problem that i had @ 70k on my 2001 w203, i had the rack replaced under my independant warranty at a cost of £760 MERCEDESwanted over £1500.

However there is a silver lining to this cloud of dismay, Euro parts do a replacement rack for around £200 then of course you will have to get it fitted, you say you are in the north east ( Gods little allopments) so I may may be able to help you with this as I have a contact who is a MB technician - he does all the work on my car at a fraction of the STEALER costs.

If you PM me your mobile / tel number so we can discuss further

Regards

Gunny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom