steering rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reddevil01

Car
merc e320
some months ago i started losing power steering fluid on my merc e320 v6. it was a bit damp around the reservoir and there was a little moisture on the cross member. so i called mercerdes in my area spoke to one of their tech goose. he said it was the o ring in the reservoir which is common. got the o ring done the job went to work and back which is 7 miles same problem again.

could not see any sign of leakage underneath. so someone told me and i think it was mercedes tech guy that one of the seals in the steering rack was the problem. how to know that for sure was to take one of the boots off and see if there is any fluid in there. low and behold full of fluid. so i took the rack off. i was told there is a master seal located where the wormdrive entered the rack. this seal is the size of a milk bottle top with a rigid seal. i took the old seal out and i replaced it. eventually got the rack back on. filled it with fluid left it a day, filled it again. i did intend to bleed it that day but the weather changed i had to leave it a while.

went back to it yesterday, was told how to bleed it by aa tech guy. he said run the engine turn the steering wheel left to right it will make groans and noises then the steering will become assisted. it was ok for a couple of minutes then the steering went heavy again. checked the reservoir and it was empty. looked underneath and fluid was poring out from one of the gaters. not sure now what the problem may be.:doh: would anyone be able to help or any ideas? do u recomend changing the rack all together. the car is a keeper in extremely good condition.

I changed my rack for a known good one when it started leaking.
I've heard that re-sealing them is not a DIY job.

the latest is, i have brought a new rack, put it on, now the steering is not straight, how do i get the steering to go straight again, and please tell me i dont have to take the rack off again.....

May be just a wheel alignment issue, Did you centralise the rack before fitting?

the company i brought it from it came all ready centralised and all ready to go. all i had to do was put it on, was so happy to see it on then well annoyed to see the steering was not straight lol

It might come centralised but it's impossible to have it set up for your car, so long as it was fitted correctly you will just need your tracking done.

Just tracking, don't worry.

when i connect the tie rods up, the wheels are not in line, the steering wheel is out as well. and the problem is i cant get it to a place to get tracking done if its badly out of line.

Last edited:
Lock steering in a straight head position, measure each inner threaded steering arm from rack body to end of thread, they should be the same, now screw the outer track rod ends on and get the wheels as straight as possible by eye, you should be fine t then drive to get it tracked properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom