Steering- Strange Moaning Sound at very low speed turning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

golden1245

Car
1999 C230K Sport
Hello everyone, haven't been back in a while and I hope everyone is well.

the steering in my 1999 C230K has developed a moaning noise that comes from the engine bay when I turn the steering wheel at very low speeds (pulling into or out of a parking space mainly) It's annoying and pretty loud.

Is the power steering pump starting to go out? or is there some sort of leak in the system? I haven't found any dripping or anything like that. during normal driving, the steering is perfect.

Thank in advance for reading!

Hello everyone, haven't been back in a while and I hope everyone is well.

the steering in my 1999 C230K has developed a moaning noise that comes from the engine bay when I turn the steering wheel at very low speeds (pulling into or out of a parking space mainly) It's annoying and pretty loud.

Is the power steering pump starting to go out? or is there some sort of leak in the system? I haven't found any dripping or anything like that. during normal driving, the steering is perfect.

Thank in advance for reading!

Mine started doing this same car and year. Only when turning left on a particular corner. Fluid what's at tad low so put what seemed like a drop in and alls good now.

Try a fluid change. I've had this in a few car's I've owned over the years and it always has fixed it. Or could your belt be slipping slightly ?, just a thought, cheers, Tony.

it'll either be low power steering fluid or a lower balljoint.

Check the fluid first. If its low, look to see where its leaking.

Quite a lot of fluid can leak into the gaiters without any obvious drips/leaks, if the steering rack is going.

Hmmm...the fluid reservoir is actually very full. It's brimming with liquid so I don't think it's a leak...

My lower ball joints, steering rack, LCA bushings have all be replaced 2 years ago so things are in very good condition...

Are you checking it with the wheels pointing straight?

Can you record the noise and post it here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom